Wheels stolen

jaime bray

Just a heads up folks.

Had a message come through facebook, Sunday morning, from a neighbour to my yard updating his status. Was complaining about being awoken at 3-4am by sound of neighbours garage being broken into. My garage!!!! Don't ask why I didn't get phone call etc.

He rang the police, but too late nobody was around. Anyway, turns out that it wasn't the garage, but they had stolen the wheels off my back axle on the transit. 3 of the 4 had gone, as the jack collapsed on them as they tried to hammer off the fourth wheel. Unfortunately they didn't get trapped underneath the wagon.

After spending yesterday and today trawling the internet and ringing around for mark 7 twin axle rims and tyres, it is apparent that theft of commercial vehicle wheels is rife at the moment.

Spare wheels are easy picking as you just wind them down.

With large demand for particular sizes of tyres and recession causing people to use partworn tyres, there is certain tyre sizes, namely transit mark 6 and 7s that they are like rocking horse muck. So rather than go and buy brand new it is the new fashion to steal them off other tradesmen.

I have looked into wheel locks suited for steel wheels and shall purchase some, but just watch where you leave your wagons overnight, as spares are easy pickings to rob but a bugger to get hold of.

Just thought would share as word of warning.

Cheers

What do you do when theiving has reached such a low level... Nothing is safe is it. Seems the order of the day everywhere. If they aren't taking parts off your car then its the wheels off your trucks.

What do you do when theiving has reached such a low level...

If you don't want it nicked, maybe it's down to driving around in the most undesirable vehicle you can insure. A banged up Rover, Volvo or Ford P100. If you find it desirable, someone else will too. And then there'll be those 3rd & 4th persons out to make money off you both.

Just to give everybody the heads up the latest one is to steal the lights and grills from land rovers, new shape disco's and range rovers, not quite sure where they are going or why their is now such a big market for them. They smash the drivers or passenger window then release the bonnet and then go on to take the lights and grill!! Be on your guard :thumbdown::thumbdown:

They're nicking the lights for growing marie-joanna due to them being high intensity discharge.