Srt dismantling help

Hi dan and Ben do you guys choose to not wear spikes because you favour using a foot ascender instead and also because using redirects means you can gain a much better positioning and therefore don't need them. I too currently only use srt for reductions and sj for removals so any help n this is much appreciated

Cheers luke

I know you didn't ask me, I just don't like to wear spikes as i find it more comfortable and easier to get around most trees without them, if the branch spacing/structure of the tree is such that spikes are easier or i will be able to make my cuts in a more comfortable safer postion with them then i will use them.

You can still use a pantin with spikes.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jake, hope things are going well for you and the family in Melbourne. Its not easy to start with. Just practice. I still occasionally do removals Ddrt if they look awkward single line. A uni is really nice for straight up straight down stuff like pines etc. If its a bit more spreading and lots of limbwalks I prefer the wrench. Its also easier to do them without spikes on until you get to the main chog down sometimes :001_huh: good luck

Hey Ben, Things are great in Melbourne and the family are loving it. Little one started school in Jan and has an Ozzy accent already haha. Just really trying to dial in this srt as I feel for most of the trees out here it would be perfect and once dialled in could probably run rings around ddrt.

Thanks for the advice guys, Dan, love the sound of the ring spliced onto your rope. I can think of loads of anchors and ways it would be useful. As for spikes, I'm pretty sure there's no way in hell I'd be able to do euc removals without them. It's a spurs on and get on with it approach I'm going to adopt, and start thinking in srt mode.

Not that I could see it making to much difference but do you notice a difference in the way you'd rig the tree down. Different order, method etc. or are you going about your business as normal?

Cheers guys.

J:thumbup1:

Not that I could see it making to much difference but do you notice a difference in the way you'd rig the tree down. Different order, method etc. or are you going about your business as normal?

Cheers guys.

Rig as normal generally. The only thing I find different is if you're redirecting your own line and the rigging line. It's just a case of working it out at the time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Arbtalk mobile app

Cheers Marc the questions where open to anyone mate I only aimed it at Ben and dan as they both mentioned not using spikes and to me that is very alien as I've always used them for removals drt. And yeh someone else told me that both pantin and spikes can be used at the same time I just havnt tried it yet

Cheers guys.

Business as usual. I very rarely use pantin and spikes together...Dont know why just didnt get on with it. If im away from the stem on spikes, having redirected or something, I use a hand ascender and footloop in conjunction with a roperocket/haas type thing on the other foot.

If you dont have a self tending srt device like a rope runner or uni you can tie your saw onto the line, spur back up the stem with a self tending rope wrench, then pull it back up to you. For I short haul i dont bother but its worth it for a longer spiked ascent on the stick.

ProperPriorPlanningPreventsPissPoorPerformance:laugh1::thumbup1:

Any old foot loop dude.. at the moment im using my sidestrop attached to the hand ascender with a small lighwtweight prussic loop as the foot stirrup bit.... then its adjustable and you dont have to carry a specific footloop.. :)

Ah got ya so it means u don't miss the pantin either, must give it a go. Cheers

The little prussic loop works nicely for holding up some of the slack on a longer lanyard too. I think I'm using about 4.5m at the moment.:001_smile: