Dilemma.

chrisj

Thanks for the advice folks. A 560 is sounding pretty good to be honest and much more like what I was after. I didn't really want to go as big as a 72cc but the dealer was doing a good job of trying to talk me up to it.

I might try and fix up my 630 when I have time (if I can get the parts). Much as it is beyond sensible economic repair to have fixed it would be a nice little DIY project to learn a bit about the workings of my saw and for nostalgia's sake. It would be nice to get running as a spare (and I'm quite attached to it). Any one any ideas where I could get a cylinder and piston from?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want a smaller saw look at a Mitox very good saws 2 year warrenty.

and for the bigger stuff a 372 i have the 576xp and would rather have the 372 much lighter can put a big bar on it.

you may find that for the money you can get both.

Mitox also do a larger saw but think its 55 cc

*NEW* Mitox CS56 Pro Chainsaw

*NEW* Mitox CS56 Pro Chainsaw

The MITOX® CS56 Chainsaw is for the homeowner/landowner who requires requires the best. For those times when only the biggest and best will do - we offer the CS56. With its magnesium alloy crankcase, anti-vibration system, and soft-grip handles, the CS56 handles like a saw half its size - despite its powerful 56cc engine and 20 inch oregon guide bar. Depress the decompression valve and the CS56 starts effortlessly, providing a dependable partner for the most demanding tasks. Looking for the ultimate Mitox chainsaw? Look no further than the CS56. All MITOX® Chainsaws feature a 2 year homeowner warranty.

RRP £249.00 inc VAT

more details

Engine 56.0cc 2-Stroke

Power 2.6kw

Guide Bar Brand Oregon

Guide Bar Length 20 inch / 50cm

Chain Pitch .325

Starting System Decompression Valve

Carburettor Type Walbro Japan

Chain Oiling Automatic & Adjustable

Weight 6.5kg inc bar and chain

Mitox 6224 Chainsaw

Mitox 6224 Chainsaw

The Mitox 6224 Chainsaw utilises the same high performance 62cc engine as featured on the 6220 models, but with the addition of a larger 24” guide bar and Oregon 3/8” chain. This increased cutting capability makes the 6224 Chainsaw the perfect tool for the largest cutting tasks around any garden or estate.

RRP £279.00 inc VAT

more details

Engine 62cc 2-Stroke

Power 3.0kW

Guide Bar Length 24 inch / 60cm

Chain Pitch 3/8 inch

Starting System Decompression Valve

Carburettor Type Walbro Japan

Chain Oiling Automatic & Adjustable

Weight 8.1kg inc bar and chain

hope this is of interest for price very good value coppicer i know uses them all day 5 days a week and never go wrong

as yet not heard anything bad about them. as other posts on saws the mitox is one of the best saws coming out of china

friend who coppice has the 38cc and the big one and he has nort had any problems with them just go on and on. and he is cutting loads.

so there working hard. but with a 2 year warrenty if it does go wrong take it back and they replace it.

i think the big two will start getting a shock like the uk bike firms. the more that get out there then more people will get them.

I've had a Makita blower Harvey since I started up 10 years ago. It's still going strong. The only time I've had any problem with it, it turned out to be a fuel line had become a bit loose on the carb and fallen off. I pulled it out of the fuel tank, pushed the stretched loose end back into the tank and pushed the other end back onto the carb. That was a couple of years ago now I come to think of it. Apart from that all I've done is put fuel in and run it. If their saw are as good I'd be well pleased.

YESSS!!! I've fixed it!!!!!

Figured I couldn't do any damamge stripping down a dead saw, and since I was told the piston was scored and the cylinder most likely damaged too I might as well see how bad it was and get it ready to fit a new one as and when I could find the parts. Well the cylinder looked fine and whilst the piston was showing some wear the piston ring didn't look damaged at all and was free in the slot. Anyway I stripped all the ignition coil and everything off while it was in pieces to give it a major clean up. And then I found one of the wires where it ran around a bolt had worn through the insulation. I put some insulation tape around it (now replaced with some heat shrink) and put everything back together. Pulled it over and compression seemed same as ever and it all moved freely enough. So this morning I tried it. Started lovely. What a result. Looks like I'll be doing my own repairs from now on.

YESSS!!! I've fixed it!!!!!

Figured I couldn't do any damamge stripping down a dead saw, and since I was told the piston was scored and the cylinder most likely damaged too I might as well see how bad it was and get it ready to fit a new one as and when I could find the parts. Well the cylinder looked fine and whilst the piston was showing some wear the piston ring didn't look damaged at all and was free in the slot. Anyway I stripped all the ignition coil and everything off while it was in pieces to give it a major clean up. And then I found one of the wires where it ran around a bolt had worn through the insulation. I put some insulation tape around it (now replaced with some heat shrink) and put everything back together. Pulled it over and compression seemed same as ever and it all moved freely enough. So this morning I tried it. Started lovely. What a result. Looks like I'll be doing my own repairs from now on.

Result ! Great when that kinda stuff happens . Go pick some lotto numbers ! :biggrin:

Yes, I'm dead chuffed. I'm quite attached to this saw it's put food on the table and paid the rent when I've been in some tight spots in the past. It's always been 100% reliable until it packed up the other week. Nice to have it back.

It's given me more confidence to tackle my own repairs too. Having stripped it down and put it back together again I won't be so worried about trying in the future.