Estimating Tree hieghts??

countrryboy

hold your arm at 45 degrees, walk back until the top of the tree is visable by your fingertips, add a couple of feet, and that will be where the tree will fall. (Unless you mess up the hinge)

You'll get into all kinds of trouble doing it like that, look where it got this bloke. I stand my missus in front of the tree then walk back 10 yards and do the finger gauge to her height then go p the tree gauging with the fingers to see how many of her would make the tree height.

salute_1504842c.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try to use the visual scenery around you to assist your view, try to measure the distance with only the eye, this way you will get much better at judging distances in your own way with out the need of string on hand distances.

There are lots of apps on phones now, for apple, android and other devices. might be a good idea to purchase one of the better paid apps though, because they tend to come with more features and are not limited like some free versions.

'Distance Estimator' for android is good and its free.

You'll get into all kinds of trouble doing it like that, look where it got this bloke. I stand my missus in front of the tree then walk back 10 yards and do the finger gauge to her height then go p the tree gauging with the fingers to see how many of her would make the tree height.

salute_1504842c.jpg

That's how I do it (the finger gauge, not the Nazi dictator, and with a handy colleague,not with your Mrs). :001_smile:

Easy --- Easy !!

But if $2800 (US) is too much, same company makes one for about $700 or less if you look for used.

Got it for exploring coast redwood forests, but also use it for dropping small trees that don't need climbing, when I want to approximate where the top will land.

That's what I was talking about MD. Great piece of kit apart from in the snow or heavy rain. Used these when I worked on Grid.