Favour for a freind, did i do the right thing.

WoodMouse

As for sentimental trees. I felled leylandii that my Grandad ( He died 28 years ago and yes he was a top friend)planted due to practical reasons. If they had blown the wrong way, powerlines would of gone with them.

I have a rule of thumb that always works for me. If someone wants me to look at a job, friend or family that is, Sometimes I'll offer to do it for nowt but a cup of tea and a biscuit, or they'll pay the full professional rate. I feel invigorated and it gives me pleasure when I do a job for absolutely nothing for someone in my time and at my pace. I feel satisfied when someone pays me the right money to do the job.

I feel awful working cheap so I don't do it.

Spot on,

Please put up a photo of what you've done.

Personally I would have topped and trimmed and maintained annually by trimming all round. Either that or felled & ground out and then replaced.

Free for family, friends get a mates rate I tell them what I would charge for public and then whack a chunk off mainly to cover costs with a small drink on top.

Please put up a photo of what you've done.

Personally I would have topped and trimmed and maintained annually by trimming all round. Either that or felled & ground out and then replaced.

Free for family, friends get a mates rate I tell them what I would charge for public and then whack a chunk off mainly to cover costs with a small drink on top.

I offered to fell them all and grind out the stumps for a very freindly price. Id removed storm damage, and removed the tops where the main stems branches grew out laterally, this was about 10ft from the top of a 50-60ft tree. All the growth left on the base was still there. Taking a picture you would have just seen a little sprig above the main bulk of it. It should grow safely this way, topping it would be pointless. And these we're way past being a hedge. Personally speaking, if your a pensioner living in a council estate in streatham, you have bigger concerns than trrying to maintain a 24ft leylandi hedge yearly in order to "keep up appreances", get real. This'll be neglected for another 10 years till it gets top heavy and snaps out again.

If you were doing a job as a favour and subsequently opened yourself up for criticism by the customer supposed friend or whatever then you should have fully explained to them spelling it out if necessary how the trees were going to result.

This way you wouldn't feel insulted and could have quite plainly said the trees are now safe for the time being as I explained to you and now unless your prepared to pay the reasonable charges I have offered you to have the trees fully removed then there is no more I can do for you. Thank you very much good bye. Then don't dwell on it and feel good knowing deep down you've done them a favour and that in your professional opinion you have done what was best for the trees.

Peace.