Quantified Tree Risk Assessment

Hi,

I am looking on booking myself on a course and have noticed the Quantified Tree Risk Assessment course (Quantified Tree Risk Assessment). They cover two training courses that I am interested in, QTRA and A Practitioner's Guide to Visual Tree Assessment. I am interested in both and was wondering if many people have carried out this training and is it worth it?

Thanks Stephen Lucocq

I did the VTA course with Mike several years ago. It was good and worth the money even if you already have vta experience.

IMO QTRA is a usefull tool if you manage large tree stocks and management budgetsd There are other risk assesments available for free you could also look at.

Have you considered the LANTRA 3 day inspection course? Not exactly the same thing, i know, but it does lead to a legally recognised certificate of competance. It covers R/A etc...

Being a City Council Arborist we use QTRA often,mainly on large trees around significant targets(Amenities,Property,People & Roads etc).If you are involved in the management of a large resource, or large trees around amenities, it is worth looking into.

I did the VTA course recently. I thought it was very well run - Mike is a real tree boffin but totally accessible for questions and discussion.

Alot of the theory on this course you will have covered in your tech cert Steve, but I found it useful to hear it again. And great to get out and have a look at some trees with an old hand.

I did the VTA course recently. I thought it was very well run - Mike is a real tree boffin but totally accessible for questions and discussion.

Alot of the theory on this course you will have covered in your tech cert Steve, but I found it useful to hear it again. And great to get out and have a look at some trees with an old hand.

Yeah thanks for the feedback... I thought it would be good revision for the Tech Cert too....May well book myself on the VTA this week...cheers steve

Yes, QTRA isn't perfect, but the thing I like about it is that it's constantly evolving from the feedback the system designers get from users. The user's forum is very active with feedback (too active for me- I initially subscribed to the forum and it clogged up my inbox), thoughts and field experiences and this all feeds back into the system from revision to revision.

Also, it's increasingly being specified as the "preferred method" of hazard tree assessment in management tenders. I've done 3 large projects this year alone where QTRA has been specified by the client and it's being adopted by more bodies all the time.

I trained in it last autumn and was very sceptical at first but found using it, particularly with other people within a team, made it much less risk averse and probably made me consider strategies for retaining trees I might have had dropped previously.

My two pee's worth.