Ag. vehicles & MOT's

Andy Collins

Using an agricultural vehicle on private land is fine,however getting it there and back with woodchip tools, and timber is not. This is road haulage so operators should conform.

We are all striving for high standards within our industry, should we also bend the rules when it suits our purpose?:driver:

Road hauage is definded for hire or reward,so long as you are not charging for removal of the arisings and you are taking it back to you're yard it is in the coarse of you're business,you are doing nothing wrong.

Why should you pay road duty for the fuel used for operating machinery ? should all chipper run on white?

If someone is using a mog to tow a chipper with its own engine they are bending the rules or even breaking them.

Its a very British characteristic to find fault with the way someone else operates we all do it.

I have spoken to the police and the ministry and the way i operate is within the letter and spirit of the law.

My mog has done 7000 hours and 100,000 km saw if it was manly road work i would average 14 kmph which is about 8 or 9 mph,it will do 80 kmph,so not much of my fuel is used on the road.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put to one side what colour fuel it runs on, I'm all for anything Taxed as agricultural to have a ministry test. Tractors and mogs are capable of towing very large quantities up to that of an artic, So why not make sure the kit is up to scratch?

I'm going to really chuck myself out for attack now by saying I think all trailers between 750kg -3500kg should be tested and plated. Now before you shoot me down I've got 3 of em and I'd be happy to have them tested as I have nothing to hide. It makes me cringe some of the trailers and chippers I see profesional well respected out fits towing.

And yep some of us have had to prove we can tow large trailers to the man from the ministry! and pay for the privilidge!

Road hauage is definded for hire or reward,so long as you are not charging for removal of the arisings and you are taking it back to you're yard it is in the coarse of you're business,you are doing nothing wrong.

Why should you pay road duty for the fuel used for operating machinery ? should all chipper run on white?

If someone is using a mog to tow a chipper with its own engine they are bending the rules or even breaking them.

Its a very British characteristic to find fault with the way someone else operates we all do it.

I have spoken to the police and the ministry and the way i operate is within the letter and spirit of the law.

My mog has done 7000 hours and 100,000 km saw if it was manly road work i would average 14 kmph which is about 8 or 9 mph,it will do 80 kmph,so not much of my fuel is used on the road.

Ditto, instead of bitching about how each other run our respective business we should all be clubbing together to fight changes that make earning an honest crust even harder.

I suspect the fuel advantage with running a Mog is negligable now.

Put to one side what colour fuel it runs on, I'm all for anything Taxed as agricultural to have a ministry test. Tractors and mogs are capable of towing very large quantities up to that of an artic, So why not make sure the kit is up to scratch?

I'm going to really chuck myself out for attack now by saying I think all trailers between 750kg -3500kg should be tested and plated. Now before you shoot me down I've got 3 of em and I'd be happy to have them tested as I have nothing to hide. It makes me cringe some of the trailers and chippers I see profesional well respected out fits towing.

And yep some of us have had to prove we can tow large trailers to the man from the ministry! and pay for the privilidge!

Totally agree! when i was pulled on the M6 the man from the minisry went all all over my old mog with his little hammer and could find no fault,they put it on a rolling road and tested the breaks and said that although the back axel was 2ton over the design weight the breaks were better than they needed to be and his exact words were "its got the breaks we'ed expect on an artic"

Just because you don't need an MOT there is no excuse for not maintaining any vehicle that goes on the road.

First of all I'm not having a personal dig at any one in particular.

Hauling woodchip to a yard is road haulage whether is is charged for or not.

Unimogs can be driven by a 17year old!! so thats 6000kgs for the tractor and 18000kgs for the trailer. On a car licence? With no formal training.

A vehicle operator must have VOSA permission for his operating centre.A minimum of 4 safety checks and a ministry test once a year.The appropriate driver training and a HGV licence. Use tachographs to record drivers hours, and run on white diesel.

How often do you see an agricultural vehicle having a ministry test?

Totally agree! when i was pulled on the M6 the man from the minisry went all all over my old mog with his little hammer and could find no fault,they put it on a rolling road and tested the breaks and said that although the back axel was 2ton over the design weight the breaks were better than they needed to be and his exact words were "its got the breaks we'ed expect on an artic"

Just because you don't need an MOT there is no excuse for not maintaining any vehicle that goes on the road.

i'm only being nosey here! were you actually pulled off the M6 or near the M6? I'm only curious as I've never seen a mog on a motorway! I am aware of one contractor up penrith way that had a short term permission to run Fastracs on the M6 north of Penrith.

I think mogs should be able to use red diesel we should have one perk if buying them beasts.

Chippers should run on red to my ones petrol so i always get mugged at the petrol pump.

I think mogs should pass an mot at least more for the benefit of the owner knowing there machiene is safe to use.

If i get enough mohoney i will get a mog guy round here has one so cool.