Ag. vehicles & MOT's

Andy Collins

70% of UK Tractors fail road safety tests!!

I see there is a call for Ag vehicles to be MOT'd, following roadside checks by VOSA. Out of 250 vehicles inspected, only 14% had no faults and were road legal. Nearly 3/4 of towed equipment stopped was unfit for highway use and banned from the road on the spot. (source Hort weekly).

I suspect there will be more on the spot checks in the course of the next year or so, in order to justify changing legislation, so all Ag vehicle operators, ensure your vehicles/trailers comply with Highway regs. Most common faults highlighted were hydraulic hoses, brake lights and tyres.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember there is an amount of statistic cooking! They may have stopped 250 & 14% had no faults and were road legal, BUT they are only going to stop units & combinations that look dodgy in the first place, also with the exception of Fastrac & Unimog 99% of tractors are legally only supposed to do 20mph as are most trailers, as most tractors sold can do 30mph+ so if Mr VOSA has Mr plod with him with a speed gun then if the tractor is doing over 20mph by ANY amount then Mr tractor driver/owner will automatically be done for C&U offences even if the tractor was 100% road worthy beneath 20mph.

If a 100% road worthy typical tractor and trailer was stopped you would be done for (if over 20mph) incorrect steering, incorrect brakes, low braking force, lack of fail-safe 2-line trailer brakes, possibly tyres (speed/load index), if over 25mph then possibly lighting regulations.

Putting things in simple form, if your tractor or trailer or trailed appliance dose more than 20mph on the public road it must conform to the same regulations as cars, vans & hgv’s and there trailers with respect to braking, steering, tyres i.e. Construction & Use (C&U), if also above 25mph then lighting regulations as per cars, vans & hgv’s and there trailers (AG trailers >25mph have exceptions to some marker lights & plates, as do projections front/rear/side of AG vehicles)

Unfortunately tis the nature of the beast that stats will be used to prove their point, however, the reason I posted this thread was so those here using Ag vehicles were aware that VOSA are having this purge, therefore are made aware that all vehicles need a check over before using on the highway. Dont want to give them any more reasons to hit us with do we?

I got pulled on the motorway last week by mr plod. little chat and a £30 fine for having a duff numberplate.

One of the things he did tell me was that the police are being told to target more agricultural equipment, and that VOSA is pushing for ALL tractors to be tested under the same rules as HGV's, aswell as all trailers needing there own number plate and test (again just like HGV's)

This is amusing next chainsaws will have to pass emission tests. We will have to train to use trailors.

I notcied lots of police checks in my local area far play on tractors they should be maintained.

Should the industry not have a body of people to protect us from unfair letigation that in the end will put us out of work.

I must admit that a level playing field for all is overdue. Operators running agricultural vehicles on red, and allowing untrained drivers to haul heavy loads with tractors does make me uneasy. Operators, and Heavy goods licences are not cheap. Why should agricultural vehicles be used in tree surgery?:tee:

I must admit that a level playing field for all is overdue. Operators running agricultural vehicles on red, and allowing untrained drivers to haul heavy loads with tractors does make me uneasy. Operators, and Heavy goods licences are not cheap. Why should agricultural vehicles be used in tree surgery?:tee:

Why should a unimog that has been on private land all day running a chipper,winch or crane use white just because you need to drive it home at night?

We will have to train to use trailors.

some of us do! and its a right pain in the a#*e

i havent been bothered to do my trailer test yet, will try and keep total trailer weight below 750kg for the time being. just bought a 130 defender so i have plenty of carrying capacity on the main vehicle.

I have only once refused to drive an ag loader on the road, as i didnt feel it was safe, (boss was cool with that)

Why should a unimog that has been on private land all day running a chipper,winch or crane use white just because you need to drive it home at night?

Using an agricultural vehicle on private land is fine,however getting it there and back with woodchip tools, and timber is not. This is road haulage so operators should conform.

We are all striving for high standards within our industry, should we also bend the rules when it suits our purpose?:driver: