A question for the tractor owners.

Tom D

I currently have a valtra 6400 with a 6m crane, its a great machine and has made me loads of money……………….But, at 95Hp its a wee bit gutless for running a big chipper and also not the best for haulage. I am thinking of moving up to a 6 cylinder machine to give me 140Hp+ preferably with a 50k box, this will allow me to buy a bigger chipper and will haul timber better on the road too. However will it be too unwieldy in the woods and the suburbs?

I know some of you run 6 cylinder machines what do you reckon?

Options include: T series valtra, 8000 series valtra, or a wee 4cyl N series valtra. The N series are notoriously light on the front end which could be bad news for having a big PTO chipper, but it would be manoeuvrable. The 8000 and T series are much bigger though….

I currently have a valtra 6400 with a 6m crane, its a great machine and has made me loads of money……………….But, at 95Hp its a wee bit gutless for running a big chipper and also not the best for haulage. I am thinking of moving up to a 6 cylinder machine to give me 140Hp+ preferably with a 50k box, this will allow me to buy a bigger chipper and will haul timber better on the road too. However will it be too unwieldy in the woods and the suburbs?

Options include: T series valtra, 8000 series valtra, or a wee 4cyl N series valtra. The N series are notoriously light on the front end which could be bad news for having a big PTO chipper, but it would be manoeuvrable. The 8000 and T series are much bigger though….[/quote

Hi what crane do u have?

Thanks

know nothing of Valtra but generally a six cylinder tractor with a naturally aspirated engine is far better than a four cylinder turbo charged model , more torque , heavier but longer wheelbase ,140 hp should be big enough for a ten tonne trailer . Good tractor needs good tyres ..

Options include: T series valtra, 8000 series valtra, or a wee 4cyl N series valtra. The N series are notoriously light on the front end which could be bad news for having a big PTO chipper, but it would be manoeuvrable. The 8000 and T series are much bigger though….

i think my 8100 is about 120hp. id like it to have a 50k box but with a trailer of timber behind it i think the 40k box is enough. id be interested to see the size difference between your 6400 and my 8100 as i don't really see mine as a large tractor.

With a roof mounted crane if you go from 6400 to say 8100 you will feel much happier as the weight and length of the tractor will provide you with much greater stability.

Yes with the 6400 is a great nimble tractor in the woods. Its turning circle isn't great like all valmets. However with the bigger 8000 series you need a bit more room to turn. You just need to loose a tree on a rack corner to turn properly and if you have a trailer behind a steering draw bar is a must.

I also think for the operator the bigger cab of the 8100 is a much nicer place to be. I think the linkage is something like 6 tonne lift so you can put a nice big bandit chipper behind.

I've used the A series loads in the woods which really replaced the 6000 series. I'd trade the maneuverability for the 130hp for pulling forwarding trailer and road work though. As i'm sure you know roofmount+winch will really sort out any forest situation you get yourself into.

just looked up the specs

Weight: 8,488 lbs [3850 kg] (9,811 4WD)

Wheelbase: 93.7 inches [237 cm]

Length: 174.8 inches [443 cm]

Height: 107.9 inches [274 cm]

Weight: 11,490 lbs [5211 kg]

Wheelbase: 100.8 inches [256 cm]

Length: 194.9 inches [495 cm]

Height: 111.4 inches [282 cm]

Not a lot in it. However when you stand next to a 8000 series they seem massive. It's the tyres.