Hats off to the hedgelayers.

Woodworks

I only dabble and had my one and only day doing some this year. I had forgotten how difficult it is. Scrabling around on a falling down bank while getting scratched to bits trying to do a 3D jigsaw puzzle. Happy to leave it for another year.

Some pictures for your amusment.

IMG_20140319_134909.jpg.92e1d2ee0e559d7e8fa072ad1d921200.jpg

IMG_20140319_134854.jpg.f6d447d1ea4e91e908435162c26e51a5.jpg

IMG_20140319_134754.jpg.82468325c81d7f0b41ee7144b2aba3dd.jpg

IMG_20140319_134740.jpg.b20be1c823966463aca73f40d84a3b45.jpg

That looks a tricky hedge to dabble with.

A neighbour asked me to have a dabble with about 5 metres of gaps, brambles, hidden netting, and oh yes, a bit of hedge.

Thankfully I did not take pictures.

I would say your effort is a lot better than mine.

I am definitely going to try again I really enjoyed it

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Arbtalk mobile app

some big old bits of wood looks a nice job devon style. only thing is that it looks bare with all its whiskers taken off. i sometimes think south of england is a lot of work as we leave nost f the whiskers on then have to weave it into other pleached stems so takes time.

when i finish hedges will post them. 50 mtrs on one hedge and 60 mtrs on other hedge. then thats it for season.

some big old bits of wood looks a nice job devon style. only thing is that it looks bare with all its whiskers taken off. i sometimes think south of england is a lot of work as we leave nost f the whiskers on then have to weave it into other pleached stems so takes time.

when i finish hedges will post them. 50 mtrs on one hedge and 60 mtrs on other hedge. then thats it for season.

Thanks you two.

Not many whiskers to be had as the stems where tall so cut them as high as I could reach before laying them. They would not pass the left standing timber without cutting first. What whiskers there were I did cut off though.

I did it all with a chainsaw but I see that you Professionals use axes and hooks. I can see how to make the a main angled cut with those tools but how do you remove bit left with them?

So you have 110 meters left to do. How many meters have you done this season? I seriously admire the work you chaps do :thumbup:

ps. like the word whiskers in this context. My neighbour calls it spray and I had no idea what it should be called.

Thanks you two.

Not many whiskers to be had as the stems where tall so cut them as high as I could reach before laying them. They would not pass the left standing timber without cutting first. What whiskers there were I did cut off though.

I did it all with a chainsaw but I see that you Professionals use axes and hooks. I can see how to make the a main angled cut with those tools but how do you remove bit left with them?

So you have 110 meters left to do. How many meters have you done this season? I seriously admire the work you chaps do :thumbup:

ps. like the word whiskers in this context. My neighbour calls it spray and I had no idea what it should be called.

If you keep dabbling you'll only get better. The bit left (heel) is done with the axe. One forceful, fast cut if you're lucky. Depends how thick it is. I know someone who has had a special axe made for that job.

In the Midlands it's called brush and it's all on one side of the hedge only. I'll post a pic of one I've just finished.

Good luck with your cutting.

One forceful fast cut.

Hmmm that sounds tricky. No room to swing and so much room for error. I must get to a demo one day and see how it's done.

Sometimes it's easier with a saw but in competitions the axe leaves a lovely polished cut. Probably used more in Midlands style as the pleachers are all on show and carry good marks. A razor sharp axe with a shortened shaft is the key.

the size you are cutting not do much in a day 10mtrs if you are lucky.

i use a saw on bigger stuff but cut thick then finish off with axe. as saw cuts againts grain axe goes wit so less chance of splitting and breaking off. i have a elwell 4lb for big stuff and a gransfor for the other stuff

old boy cutter said to me width of trunk x3 start pleach works ok.

was on gas me and son in law laid 70 mtrs this weekend of hawthorn smallish stuff but tangled to hell. so was doing more midland than SOE.

and it was cold today wind was going through not round and hail storms.

still trying to warm up

Thanks you two.

just re read your post so far 500mtrs on one job 50 to finish and a 100 on other 30 to finish. thats season end for me till next season start on 700mtrs hedge. plus other small jobs