Stihl Semi Synth Chain Oil Leaking Out

Sussex Groundie

Thought I would give some Stihl Semi Synth Chain Oil a try, very thin compared to the old treacle I am used too. Problem is its leaking out of the saws when there resting overnight.

My pole saw extension hangs on the wall and when I went to grab it all the shaft was well lubed, having the same problem with two saws on the bench, the oil works fine, lubes the chain well, runs out the same time as the fuel, so thats all ok.

Anybody else had this?

Regards

SG

My old mans 020t or maybe the 200t does it, we haven't really worked out which one it was, but the shelf they're on leaks oil (they're stored slotted together). At first I thought it was just as they cool down the oil continues to run a bit, but seeing as the polesaw doesn't have that problem neither does our other saw and they're all run on the same oil.

There seems to be a movement from a few manufacturers towards thinner chain oil. There may be seasonal reasons for this, if it gets colder do the oil pumps struggle with the thicker oils in the marketplace?

When I first started blending chain oil, the feedback was make it nice and thick and tacky. That way it keeps the chain and bar nicely lubricated and the oil doesn't fly off, this is the principal we still use and seems to go down pretty well with our customers.

The cynic in me may think that they want to go to a thinner oil so you use more. I may be completely off the mark maybe those of you who use the thinner chain oils can let me know, I would love the extra input.

Sorry for the waffle