066 lacking power

haforbes

I recently purchased an 066 and its not quite the beast I was hoping it to be at the moment. It just doesn't seem to rev very high and as soon it's put under any strain it just stops pulling, its only running a 24" bar. I've changed the filter and fuel line as the old line was split, spark seems good and air filter is good. It doesn't seem to have a huge amount of compression, very easy to pull over so I'm wondering whether a new piston & rings might be the way to go but wanted to get some advice before I spend any cash. I was also wondering whether its worth getting it ported whilst I'm getting work done to it? Any help appreciated!

The split fuel line will have made it run lean possibly causing damage to pot and piston . Take the exhaust off and have a look ........

What he said. Compression test it aswell. Also worth checking the compression release is working and not leaking aswell.

Taken the exhaust off and there's some vertical score lines on the piston which I presume is bad news...?

It is bad news but generally you can salvage the cylinder - look on my "Whats on your bench" thread for guidance. It is important to clean the cylinder fully and fit a good quality piston - Meteor are the best aftermarket and don't be put off by the slightly higer price or the fact the guy on ebay is in Greece, he always delivers:thumbup:

I did an 066 that was a little lacking and gave it back it's original Mojo with a new piston and a good set up:thumbup:

The split fuel line may have done the piston damage but personally, I always do a pressure and vac test to make sure it won't do it again!

As above. Also, invest in a compression tester if you plan to buy second hand saws. The compression is the most important part much of the time if the rest of the saw seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all the help. Just ordered the meteor piston £29 inc postage from Europe, local dealer quoted £104 and I'd have to wait a week...

Hopefully once the new piston is in it will give the saw some much needed power! Thanks again