Beech stem for sale

Dave177

That's my point, look at the faults that log has and it cant apply.

The hoppus measurement allows for a certain amount of wastage allowing for defects. With the new bandsawmill (having a slightly larger capacity), I barely pruduce any off cuts these days - I convert 95% (or more sometimes) of the log into boards and sawdust. Given that the hoppus measure is approximately 78% of the log, there is your allowance. Either way, if you are desperately concerned about defects, you can always offer a different hoppus price.

I would hope that this log doesn't end up as firewood. And well said Martin.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The hoppus measurement allows for a certain amount of wastage allowing for defects. With the new bandsawmill (having a slightly larger capacity), I barely pruduce any off cuts these days - I convert 95% (or more sometimes) of the log into boards and sawdust. Given that the hoppus measure is approximately 78% of the log, there is your allowance. Either way, if you are desperately concerned about defects, you can always offer a different hoppus price.

I would hope that this log doesn't end up as firewood. And well said Martin.

I am a timber buyer and do understand the workings of hoppus/ log conversion.

That is, unless you consider tight offensive

That was very much tongue in cheek. You are a new member, I should point out that my tongue is often in my cheek, but I am never deliberately offensive or inflammatory. I apologise for any offense caused :001_smile:

Edited by Stephen Blair

That's fine, I put my valuation on the log and actually it is not what I would consider a commercial milling log. There are signs of possible metal along with the other defects I pointed out, considering the conversion rate on that log the £3 /hoppus is soon inflated, there is obvious excess wastage at the butt end and it appears from the photo there are similar if not worse problems at the tip. If you take that into consideration the margins you were quoting do not hold water.

On a log of this nature hoppus theory struggles to hold up, it appears from the photo that standard taper is way out and so if you consider all these points I struggle to get my thinking around the margins you were quoting.

Hi Dave 117 never mind about hoppas foot etc (sorry guys ) just P M me if you want to have a deal and mill it up I am just starting out milling and making stuff so any and all deals are good at the moment

Cheers Mark

(chainsaw carving /milling in Dorset)