Melted rigging rope

pd_denmark

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon the bollard got too hot.

I remember seeing some footage of some Aussie guys packing the core of the bollard with ice to reduce heat build up when braking big pieces from tall trees.

Strange how it hasn't happened before though. You guys sound like you know what you're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I am quite sure it has been melted by the bollard / device. The pulley seems to work fine. But you have got a point. Normally I do large rigging with another and a bit smaller block and only with really big stuff, where we use two blocks, is the large (blue 3 ton) block out . I hadn't thought about that - but it seems fine. Will examine it tomorrow anyway :-)

We haven't checked the temperature of the bollard during a work day, but will make sure to do that next time as well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. It's been a mild winter but we haven't rigged in more than 5 degrees Celsius .

Hope we locate the problem before we burn more ropes. Have just ordered a new 70 meter 16 mm bullrope and 70 meter 16mm dynasorb as a backup rope.

Have examined the pulley and it seems fine. Furthermore the rope is not melted at the end, but further in, which indicates it must have been melted running over the device and not in the pulley.

Still No one who have tried melting ropes like this ?

:-/

Hope I won't melt my new ropes as fast.

ensure that the wraps are made on the large bollard and minimal/ no partial turns are made on the 'pegs' a half turn on one of those pegs will create allot of friction on a very small surface area. Other than than, let it run slower/ take smaller bits. a 300kg lump falling 8 ft will generate 2700kgf thats allot to ask from most rigging lines!

what make is the rope?