Trees and the future, what should we plant?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure that beyond 400 years means anything biologically, the drawbridge of the channel flooding went up 7000 yrs ago. Strawberry tree is native to Southern Ireland, where it is beautiful.

The point is that many non-native plants fit in well in our woods and ecosystems. Several of our vital true natives are being wiped out. Including a small number of well established non-native trees that thrive and are used by nesting birds and insects seems a sensible insurance policy to me.

Trouble is if you plant a tree then its no longer yours because the jobsworths go and put a TPO on it. I wouldn't plant a hedge either for the same reason.

Don't want to derail the thread, but surely they can't just rock up and stick a TPO on a tree that's in the middle of your field, and doesn't affect anyone else? If it overhangs a road or something, fair enough... (This is a genuine question, I don't work in arb as such...)

Thanks.

The point is that many non-native plants fit in well in our woods and ecosystems. Several of our vital true natives are being wiped out. Including a small number of well established non-native trees that thrive and are used by nesting birds and insects seems a sensible insurance policy to me.

This seems to be the side of the argument I am favouring at the mo.........

(Things must be bad as I planted syc last year in a small new coppice???)

Denbighshire CC tree guy showed up here few years ago

Asked me "what's that tree"

"Errrr bird cherry --- the valley is full of them"

Not overly impressed

"Amenity" seems to be the only word used to describe why a TPO may be ATTEMPTED to be applied. Type of tree seems irrelevant.

I felt the same about planting 'natives', but I must admit on reflection, I have difficulty with this on many levels. Plants themselves are travellers, and humans are one means by which they travel. Is anything or anyone truly native??

Personally, I'd champion diversity, favour 'natives' but don't limit your choices without full consideration - unless it's Japanese knotweed! Plant food trees (people and creatures) - more nut and fruit trees, but don't forget the conifers! I like to look at Crawford's work on Forest Gardening. I'd also love to see more farming with trees.

In summery, I think your quite right to be thinking ahead and to imagine how one could attempt to be self-sufficient. We're beggars to the whims of madness (world markets and over-consumptions) so keep it simple; food, fuel, timber, medicine, and community. If you want to help solve world problems, the best place to start is in your own back garden, and to always question everything!

before I go from waffle to rant...I'd better stop! in short, More trees! I love Sweet Chesnut, and so do the animals- YES, please do plant more =)