5kva generator alternator ?

Aicchalmers

Bit of a long shot but does anybody here have a spare 5kva tapered shaft alternator for a honda generator/ a 5kva generator for spares?

Mine just died halfway through planing up a load of beams and can't for the life of me figure it out, I'll still have a good play with it but looking likely I need a new one.

All the windings look ok, its brushless so can't be any issues with them, there could still be an unseen short or the diodes or capacitors have gone though, because the windings are such low resistance my multimeter just records them all as a short circuit ..

In Edinburgh but can arrange a courier.

:thumbup1:

There is a way of testing it but I am not going to say as you will defo hurt yourself.

Go on .. :001_tt2:

I've heard the thing of setting your multimeter to resistance and it shows a low value for a short time and then goes to infinite and it does this but over a time of maybe 15 seconds.

Flashing the capacitor probably isn't going to do anything since it died mid-use not after a long period of time?

It's one of the ones that just has a rotating field with two coils with a diode and capacitor on each side, then a phase shifted winding the capacitor is attached to on the stator ..

Tried replacing the start capacitor and flashing it but no luck at all ..

I'll just have to get it all apart and have a good look at the windings but I've not got a workshop at the moment and tbh getting sick of ******* around with this old genny ..

If anyone has a spare alternator let us know!

Will see.