Continuing professional development

David Humphries

Ah, now that would be telling :sneaky2:

Nah, more a case of general seminar narcolepsy, that's why (for me) its important to focus on the speakers you want to listen too and not all of them.

What have you been on recently Kevin?

Good point, the training can get tiring when over subscribed.

For me 2012/13 were heavy with refreshing tickets and gaining 40/41 (in old speak), PTI, First Aid, PTLLS, Supervising Signing Lighting & Guarding, Deer Stalking Certificate Lv1. Wrapping up all the tickets has resulted in an updated record all swept up into NPTC Lv 2 Cert for Advanced Chainsaw Operator (Pruning Operations & Sectional Felling) and a NPTC Lv 3 Diploma Work-based Trees & Timber (Arboriculture) so that's all nice & tidy and in date.

Some LANTRA short courses: powered winches, bat awareness, maintenance, woodland management, establishing/managing an orchard, hedge laying, Tree Warden etc...

Forecast for 2014: continue reading Mynors (recommended by Jules (Daltontrees):thumbup1:) which is providing inspiration every time I pick it up (although time/baby/wife/work provide a reasonable balance to over indulgence!)

Work is going to present another challenge in 2014 with the diary booked out to end May already.

I'd like to work towards AA accreditation and have spoken to Paul briefly (not forgotten Paul!)

Did first Arb Impact Assessment for planning back end of 2013 and have several architectural practices interested in future work so that's picking up. Got some training delivery next month so hoping that will take off also.

What would I like to do in 2014? More fungal ID / knowledge, some structured, formal vet tree experience / training. The big question, which academic qual to target and will it pay dividends (increased income) in relation to the effort and time required to complete?

I agree with the previous comment about time spent reading / discussing / contributing in this forum is of great value in CPD and shouldn't be underestimated. It's been of great value to me.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Think you forgot a day at Barcham's in that list David.

Remembered it this morning :001_rolleyes:

Not sure what this says about me, but I've just remembered that I was invited (due to interacting about fungi here probably) to a Norfolk/Suffolk Mycologocal Society field trip to Staverton Park in August to study/record the very rare Oak polypore and its environs.

most definately CPD and should go on my list

I guess (as Paul has eluded to) just because its not a booked type event, doesn't mean its not cpd.

It had a learning outcome, which hopefully is now ingrained in me nogging.

Do I need to put it all down on a list?

For me, for sure :blushing::biggrin:

IMG_4543.jpg.af375c1119de060935551ac9e01ad70c.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg.91f3834478ff151219f0ea16227d6cd8.jpg

quite an expenditure from your employers, but one no doubt that they expect will pay them dividens in the long term in terms of your development.

If you had the choice (perhaps you did?), would you have spent all three days at conference Rob?

I've been to a few of them but not been able to justify the time or expense to attend all three days.

Find myself tuning into & booking the day(s) that most suit my interests

With it being my first conference, and being sent through work, I was pleased it was the full three days. Work didn't mind the cost as they know it's all about the development and send at least one member of staff for the full 3 days each year.

If I was paying for myself (now I've been once), I would look at the itenarary and pick which 1 or 2 at a push I'd prefer from a speaker point of view.

I did enjoy the social side of it mind:biggrin:

Sent from my phablet