Is it worth self repairing?

RuperraCled

Reading all the threads here and especially Spud it looks like i may have prematurely gotten rid of a few decent saws in the last while based on the words "not worth repairing " from guys looking at them dealers and otherwise . Its impossible to get someone you can have real faith in i find . Although having been educated here spud may be in line for the rebuild of a 365 thats a little low on compression depending on postage costs from ROI !! .

Life is never simple if you do the job 100%.

If the saw has been seized, my normal action is to see if it cleans up and then, if it is OK, fit a quality piston - now here is the important bit - if it has seized, something is not right - fuel mix, old fuel, carb settings or air leak - you really need to test for these things to ensure it doesn't happen again with your replacement parts fitted.

You learn from doing so whatever happens, you will have learnt useful knowledge but it is better if you get the job done right and have a working saw:thumbup:

If you have any questions, ask - I speciallize on tuning 357XPs and know them inside out

Shame its 357's and not 560's mate !

My 560 is currently having it's crank bearings and main gasket replaced it's only 18 months old.............

I love the saw but if parts like that fail I'm starting to question what other major parts might fail

Edit if the saw wasn't running or it was a few years older I'd do the job myself plus it's under warrenty

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll give the repair a go:thumbup1:

Can ya get a photo of that cylinder and piston to post here?

Will post some as soon as I can Wyk.

Life is never simple if you do the job 100%.

If the saw has been seized, my normal action is to see if it cleans up and then, if it is OK, fit a quality piston - now here is the important bit - if it has seized, something is not right - fuel mix, old fuel, carb settings or air leak - you really need to test for these things to ensure it doesn't happen again with your replacement parts fitted.

You learn from doing so whatever happens, you will have learnt useful knowledge but it is better if you get the job done right and have a working saw:thumbup:

If you have any questions, ask - I speciallize on tuning 357XPs and know them inside out

From what you say Spud, and I think it did seize, I'll need to test a number of things as well as replacing the cylinder and piston. I suppose I'll need a pressure tester, will I? I'll probably be back asking you for advice anyhow! Just in case I get into real trouble, how much do you charge for a repair/service? PM me if you like.

Cheers