Crane riggin

PC tree

Hi

Make sure you don't overload the crane. Once they start to reach out a bit their safe working load falls quite dramatically. Have a chat with the driver to get an idea of the weights he can lift at the distances you expect him to reach out. If necessary measure up the section and get a good estimate of the weight so as to not overload the crane.

I doubt I'm the only one whose cut a section only to hear all the alarms go off in the crane cab as the driver tries to lift it.

For the more horizontal branches sling them from a couple of points don't try and balance them. For vertical sections cut horizontaly towards the side the strop is on. Before it sits down on your saw pull it out and cut down at an angle of about 45 degrees on the opposite side, where the strop is, so that the cuts meet, this will prevent your saw jamming and ensure the section is completely severed before the crane lifts it. They're not very good at snapping sections off.

Plan the lift.

Location of tree, obstacles to be avoided, working space, location of crane, sequence you are going to dismantle the tree in, where are you going to put the stuff you cut off, how are you going to deal with it once it's on the ground, where are the other vehicles/machinery/chipper etc going to be, first aid, signage for roads and pedestrians, rope off site, weather, ground conditions, fueling, communications with climber, communications with crane driver, keep working area clear. Risk assess and draw a sketch plan to show the site and areas for all the things you need space for.

Lift the plan.

Have fun

Thank you very much for your in depth advice!

It's much appreciated!

Main thing I was told Paul was make sure the cuts are clean and the section your lifting is butt heavy. Last thing you need is a complete 180 from a section your lifting off. I got the driver to load the crane before the lift, guess at the weight and ask the driver to put that amount on. That way it should take the load away from you. What size crane and what species of tree is it?

David

Main thing I was told Paul was make sure the cuts are clean and the section your lifting is butt heavy. Last thing you need is a complete 180 from a section your lifting off. I got the driver to load the crane before the lift, guess at the weight and ask the driver to put that amount on. That way it should take the load away from you. What size crane and what species of tree is it?

David

Hello DC, it's a 50t terrax 6 wheeler and the trees a sycamore. Thanks mate.