(First post) Planting a native woodland, East Sussex

Looks good. How many days planting at that rate?

Should be done by October :(

Reckon we got about 225 planted today. Most of this morning I was mowing brambles and we're still lugging stuff up from where it was delivered. Only got about 100 stakes left to take up there now (all being done by hand) so should move a bit quicker tomorrow... :fc:

Weather was better today anyway - was almost pleasant at times! Should be better tomorrow too

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, looks impressive. You're sure starting late!

I planted my last 50 this morning. Last year the ground was frozen solid for 5 weeks, so I was still planting in April. This year, things are growing already as I plant them end of Feb. Strange climate. You'll get much quicker as you go, so I'm sure you'll get it finished. Accept any offers of help though!!

We didn't have much of an option of start dates but at least the ground isn't frozen, although it is pretty wet. Planting the trees in mixed batches now so hopefully something will grow. Maybe not the best strategy but frankly, I'm finding it difficult to distinguish between some of the whips!

Wow, 100 varieties?

I'd have liked some copper beech, wild pear & ash but none of them were available through the MOREwoods scheme. I did ask for sweet chestnut but they'd sold out, which I suppose is good news for the future coppice industry

Just out of interest, roughly what price do you end up paying by using Morewoods? I've done everything without grants as I wanted the freedom. Interested to know for future though.

They give you a 60% discount. Although I haven't been officially invoiced yet, the agreement, which isn't particularly onerous, quoted me for just shy of £1,000 inc. VAT. That's for 1075 tubes and 425 spirals, with canes and stakes.

Getting a bit bored of the process now - this morning I've done about 100 but it's cold and windy. At least I'm getting through my audiobooks in short order!

By counting the stakes that are left, I reckon we've got about 400 trees to go, plus about 100 shrubs, which are easier to plant.

Blimey, worked all day long and still have about 680 to do... At least we're through the half way mark...

83152ef4ef6613b610397e03309e27e4.jpg

They look quite densely planted (depending on what they are!) - I assume you'll thin them out a bit in the next few years?

Wonder if it would be better to plant them at a thinner density to start with then replace any that die rather than cutting down / pulling out healthy trees? (Not sure if you'd get a mosaic of different aged trees then, or if the replanted ones just wouldn't grown due to lack of light...)

Just a thought, probably best ignored! :001_smile: