Compact tractor

Marc Lewis

I am thinking and have been for some time of purchasing a second hand compact tractor that I can use to move lumps of wood around and run a log splitter off. Anybody know any good dealers or web sites? The tractor will need to have a loader or I will need to get one separately.

Edited by Marc Lewis

We have little Lamborghini from Dayment & Skelton - Home

It's the 55hp model can lift 800kg on the front (rated 500kg) and runs this on the back http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/50435-show-us-your-log-splitters-18.html about half way down the page. Cant find any pictures of it at the moment but I will try to track one down.

We have little Lamborghini from Dayment & Skelton - Home

It's the 55hp model can lift 800kg on the front (rated 500kg) and runs this on the back http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/50435-show-us-your-log-splitters-18.html about half way down the page. Cant find any pictures of it at the moment but I will try to track one down.

Looks like a nice splitter, can you lower the table to ground level so you can just roll really large rings to it? Unfortunately can't see tractor that well.

Looks like a nice splitter, can you lower the table to ground level so you can just roll really large rings to it? Unfortunately can't see tractor that well.

You can take the mid hight table out so split on the base but this is best for billets. When doing large rings I just back the trailer up to it and slide them out onto the splitting table or forklift the a pallet of rings onto a pile of pallets the right hight for table.

You don't need a compact, you need an old International or David Brown- here's why:

Every hour put on a (by definition more modern) compact tractor running a log splitter will decrease it's value. On the other hand, an old International worth £1800 at 3000hrs will be worth exactly the same at 5000hrs.

Compact tractor loaders are not much cop. An International loader will lift 500kg easily, and 750kg safely. A compact will be on it's limit at 500kg, and has nowhere near the lift height.

The hydraulic flow is much greater on an old farm tractor too, which is important for hydraulic splitter and loader work.

Ford and Massey tractors are not as functional as DB/International, and are much more money to buy due to the collector market. Best avoided.

You should be able to get an International with a power loader ('power loader' refers to hydraulic bucket tilt, rather than the old school 'pull a cord to tip' type) for around the 2k mark. Parts are generally cheaper than for compacts also.

This is the best thread on the subject: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/50754-yard-firewood-tractor.html

Ford and Massey tractors are not as functional as DB/International, and are much more money to buy due to the collector market. Best avoided.

The basics of your thread are spot on but that's not fair. Yes, you'll pay considerably more for a Ford or Massey but against that it'll hold the money and you'll have no bother getting it back as and when you wish. Also, parts are very plentiful and cheap.

Speaking from experience (I've used all of them!) Ford 2,3,4,5000 and Massey 35,130,135,148 are all terrific little tractors and have proven themselves well capable of huge amounts of work over the years. Definitely should NOT be avoided at all if you are lucky enough to get a good one.

I speak as a current IH 454 owner!

The basics of your thread are spot on but that's not fair. Yes, you'll pay considerably more for a Ford or Massey but against that it'll hold the money and you'll have no bother getting it back as and when you wish. Also, parts are very plentiful and cheap.

Speaking from experience (I've used all of them!) Ford 2,3,4,5000 and Massey 35,130,135,148 are all terrific little tractors and have proven themselves well capable of huge amounts of work over the years. Definitely should NOT be avoided at all if you are lucky enough to get a good one.

I speak as a current IH 454 owner!

Sorry bud, cannot believe you are saying that! :001_huh::lol:

2k for an IH454 (I also have one) gets you as standard:

Power steering

Pick up hitch

Power brakes

A cab of some sort

Diesel tank in a sensible place (at the back of the cab, a market first)

Synchro shuttle gearbox- 4 high, 4 low and most importantly 4 reverse- just shuttle between high and reverse- ideal for yard work

Usually a power loader, not a trip loader (never seen a trip loader on an International come to think of it)

Two speed PTO- big savings on diesel running processor etc

52 horsepower (well, remains of!)

Reasonable road speed (they were the fastest in their day!)

Anything Ford/MF that you mentioned that you can purchase for 2 or even 3k will be at least ten years older than the International 454, usually 10-20HP less and if you're lucky it might have been retrofitted with power steering and a cab. Very occasionally a pickup hitch, but if not expect to pay a fortune on the collectors market for one :lol: They never had a shuttle gearbox, two speed PTO, power brakes or a rear diesel tank. Basically they're older tractors- good machines, but nowhere near the features of the later and cheaper Internationals.

International tractors hold their price just as well- but they are cheaper to buy to begin with.

Not even close in my book. For a yard tractor an International or possibly a David Brown is the most cost effective way forward.

The tractors you mentioned are superb investments if your only use for one is topping a paddock once a month and occasionally pulling a trailer.

Edited by doobin