Bend radius for tying rope into the thin steelcrab

UskaMaaninka

I bought steelcrab like this for end of my long strop and thought it would work as a throwball but then I began to think would it be safe to tie into this loop cause it´s kinda thin and would make a bend radius thinner than a rope. What would be the best way attach this thing to a 11mm beal? using fishermans on my other normal crabs

50504_00030.jpg

Hello, I think you are right to worry about the reduced rope radius on this thing. I have tsame type of fixing on my swedish strop nad it has a metal thimble. Sloth's suggestion of a thimble is a decent idea, but the nylon ones won't last too long.

Be careful if you are using one of those lumps of metal as a throw weight. One of them swinging back towards you after going over a branch will be pretty scary, teeth-breaking potential very high. I know because I regularly get a bash off the swedish throwing it round the back of a stem.

Perhaps you could consider a maillon to join rope spliced eye to the device? Remember to inspect regularly to make sure the nut on the maillon is tight, possibly even glue it shut with epoxy resin glu or spot-weld it shut.

heck, thimble might be the thing, have to find suitable knot to tie onto it, any thoughts?

Uska, an 'Anchor Knot' will increase the rope surface area passing through the eye of the snap hook. A ' Barrel Knot' like a Fisherman's loop is a safe self-tightening knot to use on a mallion or thimble of the correct size. If in doubt, use a Figure of Eight knot!

When CAMP sell this snaphook as a work positioning connector, they pre-attach it ti a thimbled spliced-end lanyard. Use it any other way at your own risk. Personally I wouldn't. For throw weight I have a throw bag on my harness with a snapgate krab, I can stick that on to my normal climbing rope eye in about 5 seconds.

If you tie your snaphook onto your rope end with a fishermans, you will have to untie it evry time you feed rope through a cambuim saver or redirect, then re-tie it in the tree. If it has got wet and has trhen been loaded by body weight, won't it be very hard to untie with cold wet fingers then re-tie like your life depends on it?

Just climbing rec so no need for examining and these are used in everywhere in lanyards , roofjobs, arb lanyards and so on.

Bought today some thimbles and there is one tied onto fisherman. Due to cinching of a knot I think thimble would cause a problem by digging into my knot and busting the rope or more worse open it somehow

13006334.jpg

With a throwball I meant that when Im on the canopy and I need to get for example to another stem or branch far away from me I could reach it with my longer lanyard. No need to throw it all the way from ground. For it I have proper throwline and bits

Edited by UskaMaaninka