Heterobasidian annosum and Phaeolus schweinitzii & increment bore

Arborowen

Hi all I have two mature pine trees >30 foot located within a small verge between two driveways on a residential Street.

I've found Heterobasidian annosum on one and Phaeolus schweinitzii on the other.

To add to this in the recent winds limbs have fallen from both. Although I'm confident this is due to physical imperfections at larger branch unions rather than decay.

I'm keen not to fell however I'm aware both are root decay/lower stem decay Fungi.

What I'm thinking of is speccing some root /buttress investigation. Chase out some significant roots and increment bore to sample sound wood.

Can anyone here indicate if this is something worth approaching? Or if the presence of these two guys is bad news and I should just fell? I know that increment boring isn't the favorite decay detection method. But it could yield pretty clear results here and really were probably looking at managed decline rather than indefinitely retaining.

Look forward to hearing thoughts.

I am not for one moment a tree surveyor but I recently had a large Black Pine subjected to survey in which I had recognised P.schweinitzii. My research of the fungus found a description of its action as 'typically 5-6' above ground level, but can be found anywhere within the tree's main structure; it's a heart rotter'. Sure enough the survey (Picus) led to the tree being condemned with the surveyor informally estimating a 30% chance of major failure (main stem) within the following 4-5 months. (That opinion was requested as the tree's owner didn't want to lose it until the spring). There were brackets last autumn 6' from the ground but historic ones tucked into the major stem union 5' from the ground, the tree being multi (3) stemmed. From memory no other fungus was identified as present though knowing the garden as I do I'll be amazed if HF isn't there when the thing comes down; quoting is under way!

Every tree and every situation is different but perhaps this can offer some little help.

Jon

Edited by nepia

Thanks Jon, it does sound like the pine you speak of was rather well seen to by the PS. No brackets above ground level on mine. The fruit body is emanating from a historic abiotic wound presumably from their driveway resurfacing. So I wonder whether the decay may be in its infancy and we're only seeing fruit body growth due to the creation of a wound that the Fungi is taking advantage of, (air contact).

I think it i was to increment bore I would keep it to one on the stem close to ground level to sample heartwood and maybe chase out some of the bigger roots and visually inspect them.

Thanks for your reply.

My understanding is that an increment bore is really intended for use with a fractometer to assess wood strength (although I've never got a good or consistent reading from a fractometer).

Good idea to inspect the roots if possible, particularly if there has been disturbance during the driveway construction.

Can they be reduced? What's the exposure like?

Yes this would be one of the primary uses of the core. With a bit of practice I've found that you can see the transition between sound wood and decayed wood, one downside is that multiple cores may be needed to ascertain any pattern. In the case of a buttress root it could indicate the progress of decay upward into the stem or if a root were chased out ascertain the extent of internal decay distance but due to the invasive nature it's really not the best.

• 2 months later...

As an update to this, in the end with careful consideration the client has opted to carry out decay detection. I commissioned Harraway trees to carry out an assessment. Which has helped to outline remedial work of a suitable extent.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Arbtalk mobile app

1397149273823.jpg.6d38fe6de92f330caeff02818958da42.jpg

1397149238180.jpg.02546116f226e4b90142d9ef3c4edc73.jpg

1397149206003.jpg.8025fdca1f807fd6349efc7d2d7ec5a0.jpg

He is a wise man, very helpful, We've used him several times however this is the first assesment I have commissioned on behalf of a client. I consider it a small win as generally many clients wouldn't take such steps. I'll upload it In a bit (just finishing an assignment for online Bsc) so shouldn't be on AT B-) I'll be in trouble with he the missus.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Arbtalk mobile app