Ifor williams or Brian James ?

gensetsteve

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Graham Edwards tri axel flat bed and the axels were made of cheese!! The ifor has been much better!

Have they used the same axles for years or have they changed them recently. The axles I saw yesterday looked strong. The construction and finish looked much better than the ifor. They have a steel channel running either side to strap down to. The last new ifor flatbed I bought new I paid for tie downs and asked them to bolt through chassis where possible ( even one side would be good. They bolted them to the wood floor the first time we used them pulled the floor up.

At the time I put the replacement last axel (of 4) on it was a newer stronger design. At the time I asked if they would supply the other two at cost (considering I'd replaced 4 by now) but they refused. If I need to tie something down I always go under the frame. The tie downs that attach to the wooden base are never going to be great. The channel idea sounds good. I wonder if if copes well with muck?

At the time I put the replacement last axel (of 4) on it was a newer stronger design. At the time I asked if they would supply the other two at cost (considering I'd replaced 4 by now) but they refused. If I need to tie something down I always go under the frame. The tie downs that attach to the wooden base are never going to be great. The channel idea sounds good. I wonder if if copes well with muck?

Part of the floor is metal with holes in for the hooks I think any muck would just fall through. The dealer did say the ifor would stand overloading and abuse better. But the BJ would be fine with 2700kg on sir. May be worth having a look at their latest offering on line and in the dealers. I have had good service from my 8 year old ifor but the new one is exactly the same and the finish is no where near as good. I have seen new IW trailers where the chassis is so bent after galvanising one wheel is off the ground.

Part of the floor is metal with holes in for the hooks I think any muck would just fall through. The dealer did say the ifor would stand overloading and abuse better. But the BJ would be fine with 2700kg on sir. May be worth having a look at their latest offering on line and in the dealers. I have had good service from my 8 year old ifor but the new one is exactly the same and the finish is no where near as good. I have seen new IW trailers where the chassis is so bent after galvanising one wheel is off the ground.

Mine are both 3.5t they were never over loaded but certainly on full capicity!

Mine are both 3.5t they were never over loaded but certainly on full capicity!

The Bj is 3500kg but carries 2700kg. I am the Op :biggrin: I sometimes keep an eye on whats available as sometimes I need to buy a trailer quickly and dont have time to look. I have a 16ft ifor but need mesh sides and weighing up whether to change the lot in one go. The BJ dealer offfered £1800 for mine IW offered £1000. I find Iw never offer more than £1000 for anything

You'd sell the ifor on eBay or even here for pretty much 2k I'd have thought. I've not had a B james, mine are GE, Iw and Iw. Ifors have been great and Edwards hasn't. It was just the GE trailer I was mentioning as I'd had a poor experience of it. Thats all.

I got it now I am getting g e muddled with the BJ must be my age . I was concerned about the rubber suspension but they did look beefier than the indispension ones we used to kill years ago.

we had problems with the rubber suspension units being too firm when empty making everything jump all over the floor so stuck with springs, but ifor do appear to be having some quality issues of late, when we renew we will be looking elsewhere.

That brian james does look very nice though