MF35 alternator conversion

rowan lee

Just wondering if anyone here has an old 35 and has done the dynamo to alternator conversion. I've just finished the job, and have noticed the following problem:

When turning hard right over uneven ground the steering arm ball joint union with the drag rod pushes up against the pulley wheel on the alternator, damaging the fins and belt. Now I know there is a guard you can buy for the alternator, which will help this problem, but at the the end of the day contact is being made and I'm worried that I could actually damage the entire unit, and mounts someday.

As you mf35/135 owners know the front axle pivots in the centre. I'm wondering if the radius around which this turns can be adjusted in any way, i.e. tightened some how and thus preventing the above from happening?

Thanks in advance.

Never heard of this problem, but I'm no expert.

The only guard I've seen is to protect alternator from rain as it sticks outside of bonnet cover.

Can't help I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone who can will be along soon!!

We have the cover of our 35x, I assume its the same as yours. We also have the same problem but tbh I haven't done anything about it as it causes a problem so rarely. Be interested to see if there is a solution. If I think it may happen I just brake the inside rear wheel and drag the front around.

what alternator have you used. the Delco 10-SI is a good one as its a bit smaller than the rest and the way its mounted means it is slightly more back and into the block. the arm still catches, but only when you are on a very steep bank part or stump.

Thanks for the replies, glad to see its not a unique problem then. Not sure which alternator, but its deffo not the one you reference above Rich.

Perhaps there is no solution, bar keeping a closer eye to business on rough ground and as mentioned above utilising the old skid steer.