Uniforest 85 Problems

haforbes

I've just got a uniforest 85 winch and I'm having a few teething problems. First time I've used a winch like it, I'm used to a very old pto winch so I could just be doing something wrong with this new one.

So basically I got the winch hooked up to the tractor and thought I'd test it out on a nice big lump of beech I've been wanting to get for ages, I'd guess it weighs the best part of 3 tons. I attached the cable at about 20m from the machine and started to pull it which at first it did fine but when it got to the point of needing to pull a bit harder the clutch starts to screech, the anchor on the winch hadn't really even dug in. I gave another go and then it really starts to pull and digs right in, I then stopped winching just to check everything was ok, started again and the clutch screams again...?? The rope to engage the clutch is also pretty hard work to pull, not sure if that's normal or not?

I've just got a uniforest 85 winch and I'm having a few teething problems. First time I've used a winch like it, I'm used to a very old pto winch so I could just be doing something wrong with this new one.

So basically I got the winch hooked up to the tractor and thought I'd test it out on a nice big lump of beech I've been wanting to get for ages, I'd guess it weighs the best part of 3 tons. I attached the cable at about 20m from the machine and started to pull it which at first it did fine but when it got to the point of needing to pull a bit harder the clutch starts to screech, the anchor on the winch hadn't really even dug in. I gave another go and then it really starts to pull and digs right in, I then stopped winching just to check everything was ok, started again and the clutch screams again...?? The rope to engage the clutch is also pretty hard work to pull, not sure if that's normal or not?

HI HAF ive PM YOU MATE thanks jon :thumbup:

Is it a 85E or a 85EH? One is manual one is electro hydraulic just have different things that may need adjusting.

Is it a new winch out of the factory if so the something is faulty then get the dealer out to fix it. If it's used then something needs adjusting.

If it is new get the whole cable out be it 20m or 100m and either winch something to it or the tractor back to it to get a good tension and lay of the cable on the drum.

It sounds your problem is either the drive belt or chain slipping after 20 hours or so from new the stretch a little bit. Or its the clutch either the friction plate is burnt a little (rough it up with sand paper). Its more likely that the clutch is just out of adjustment. However if you adjust them wrong it can wear the clutch out and you need a new one.

Unfortunately i don't know how to adjust a Uniforest clutch. Done many a manual fransgard which involves tightening nuts up then backing them off. Took a Fransgard apart before Christmas and a lot of the problems were caused by little bit of corrosion on the shaft the drum mounts on.

Some things to think about for you.

Thanks for the replies & the message Jon:thumbup:.

It's a new machine and it's an 85M, not hydraulic but after yanking on the cables for a while I'm thinking hydraulic might have been the way to go! I did wonder whether I could pipe up a small ram to control the clutch engagement but not sure that would be a good idea:confused1:

The first thing I did was lay the cable, which was a bit of a nightmare as the bolt holding the cable to the drum was barely finger tight so when I got the end of the cable it just disconnected and I had to cut the cable a re-attach it....not a good start!

I had a quick look at the clutch adjustment and it appears to be adjusted correctly according to the manual. I've rung the dealer and they're calling me tomorrow morning with some answers I hope.

I'm going to try it on some smaller stuff tomorrow and see how it copes, might be being a little too ambitious but I thought an 8.5ton should be pretty unstoppable??

It's a new machine and it's an 85M, not hydraulic but after yanking on the cables for a while I'm thinking hydraulic might have been the way to go! I did wonder whether I could pipe up a small ram to control the clutch engagement but not sure that would be a good idea:confused1:

The first thing I did was lay the cable, which was a bit of a nightmare as the bolt holding the cable to the drum was barely finger tight so when I got the end of the cable it just disconnected and I had to cut the cable a re-attach it....not a good start!

I had a quick look at the clutch adjustment and it appears to be adjusted correctly according to the manual. I've rung the dealer and they're calling me tomorrow morning with some answers I hope.

I'm going to try it on some smaller stuff tomorrow and see how it copes, might be being a little too ambitious but I thought an 8.5ton should be pretty unstoppable??

HI MATE your is 8.5 ton but only on a empty spool mate the the ton rate full off as the rope comes in the more rope you have the less pull you have to thanks jon

8.5 should be unstoppable. I've nearly pulled the Valtra over with a 6.5t admittedly on a slope. Just make sure the front of the tractor is balasted or the tractor weights enough not to flip with 8.5t of pull. Mendiplogs is right though you only get full pull when the drum is empty or has 6 or so wraps on it.

It does sound like something isn't right. I expect you need to put about 75+hp through the winch are you delivering that?

Not sure if making your own hydraulic circuit to control the clutch is a good idea. Could be run off a spool but i'm not sure it would still be CE and fit for purpose if you start welding bits on and attaching things.

8.5 should be unstoppable. I've nearly pulled the Valtra over with a 6.5t admittedly on a slope. Just make sure the front of the tractor is balasted or the tractor weights enough not to flip with 8.5t of pull. Mendiplogs is right though you only get full pull when the drum is empty or has 6 or so wraps on it.

It does sound like something isn't right. I expect you need to put about 75+hp through the winch are you delivering that?

Not sure if making your own hydraulic circuit to control the clutch is a good idea. Could be run off a spool but i'm not sure it would still be CE and fit for purpose if you start welding bits on and attaching things.

Yea I think what Jon says could be part of the problem, I'll try pulling out some more cable and see if that helps, cpuld maybe put a snatch block on which might help.

I'm running it on a 125hp machine so should be enough I hope.

What speed do you run the PTO at? Just tick over or up to 540?

Yea I think what Jon says could be part of the problem, I'll try pulling out some more cable and see if that helps, cpuld maybe put a snatch block on which might help.

I'm running it on a 125hp machine so should be enough I hope.

What speed do you run the PTO at? Just tick over or up to 540?

Hi mate it my winch is 540 rpm your tractor ok make sure you keep safe just cut butts smaller keep do not work on own mate as you are still get to no winch thanks Jon