7/16 chain question please

predator

stop chuckling before you read this please

Right my good friend has a solo rex hidden away looks like new to be honest he bought it years ago at a farm auction in cheshire about 30 years ago at least he still has the bar to it but no chain and i,am interested in getting it back together and usable as its a shame to see it sat forlorn under his workbench un used etc i cant get over how much compression its got its a real thumper when running being a 125cc manual pump and hard nose bar fitted now the problem is where on earth could i get a loop of 7/16 chain from to suit it new s/h does,nt matter as i would love to try it just for the fun factor i know i,am mad lol for even trying but love mauling with old stuff and getting it to run again even my radio,s are all valve 1955/56 ish this saw seems to be around 1958 on the net research an all that so has anyone got anything please that will suit i would be very greatful thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try Gordon at Carlton Trading (advertises on ebay) as he has an Aladdin's cave of such things. You'll need to measure the gauge as well though.

Does the bar have a hard nose? If so, the other option is to change the drive sprocket over to something currently available - .404" is very close so would be the obvious choice. You would need to have a look at the design of the drive sprocket and see if something might fit.

Alec

Edited by agg221

hello there are different colour clutch drums on these rexs if you have the red clutch drum i think that is the old chain sprocket that is hard to find chain for i dont think you can get any more, is the bar a blackish colour with silver spots a bout the size of 10p coin if so the bar will take a 404 chain

if you take off the air filter and post up the number on the carburetor i can tell you if it is a rex or a super rex

they are great saws

hello there are different colour clutch drums on these rexs if you have the red clutch drum i think that is the old chain sprocket that is hard to find chain for i dont think you can get any more, is the bar a blackish colour with silver spots a bout the size of 10p coin if so the bar will take a 404 chain

if you take off the air filter and post up the number on the carburetor i can tell you if it is a rex or a super rex

they are great saws

thanks for the posts yes its got a red sprocket but the bad news it the paint is rubbed off the bar and also the bar is kippered i,ve just been told on the phone its been run with no oil pumped onto the chain etc but the good news is he has another full saw that runs but has to swap the recoil over of the good condition one it does really look like new for a very old saw . So on that note i,am now looking for a bar and chain for this saw also i hav,nt got it here with me but going to pick it up later i,am unsure what to do about the sprocket or what bar fits now etc greatful for the quick posts thanks as i would love to get it usable again

So on that note i,am now looking for a bar and chain for this saw also i hav,nt got it here with me but going to pick it up later i,am unsure what to do about the sprocket or what bar fits now etc greatful for the quick posts thanks as i would love to get it usable again

There are various different bar mounts currently available and there is a reasonable chance of getting a bar that fits, although you may have to drill a new oil hole. I would look to change the drive sprocket over too, to .404". If you can identify a currently available bar/sprocket combination then it will be possible to replace these indefinitely.

The biggest difficulty I can foresee is that, although the parts may fit, they won't be specified for that saw, so it's knowing what to use. The best bet I think is to get the saw, measure up and put up dimensions and pictures. The collective wisdom of Arbtalk will then probably do the rest!

Alec

cheers alec i,am going to pick it up later and will do some pics with a measure inc also the engine number sproket bar mounts/sizes etc thanks made up bit of light for the saw shame its sat unloved unused as i only have small saws 024/260,s i had a large load of pop to do pictures in the overloaded posts of the said pop and had to borrow a saw to suit an ms661 2 weeks old i felt bad having to ask a borrow etc and as it was the first time i needed a saw with a 25" bar on 3 years i should be ok with this for the odd big lump and also keep the saw alive so to speak thanks again guys going out to pick it up and do some splitting now speak later with pictures of saw etc cheers

cheers alec i,am going to pick it up later and will do some pics with a measure inc also the engine number sproket bar mounts/sizes etc thanks made up bit of light for the saw shame its sat unloved unused as i only have small saws 024/260,s i had a large load of pop to do pictures in the overloaded posts of the said pop and had to borrow a saw to suit an ms661 2 weeks old i felt bad having to ask a borrow etc and as it was the first time i needed a saw with a 25" bar on 3 years i should be ok with this for the odd big lump and also keep the saw alive so to speak thanks again guys going out to pick it up and do some splitting now speak later with pictures of saw etc cheers[/quote

my father bought his rex new in 1957/8 and it still runs well now, the place he bought it from in somerset is still going now he still repairs any solo chainsaw's to this day

look forward to some pictures later:thumbup::thumbup:

Out of interest, why not just put the .404 sprocket, chain and bar on it? Save faffing around trying to find a chain that hasn't been made since the 70's?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I think the challenge is going to be identifying which, if any, of the currently available sprockets will fit.

Alec