House-Saver

RHI was rolled out 2 years ago (for commercial installations) and was supposed to be followed immediately by the "domestic" roll out. The domestic roll out has been deferred, depleted and diminished with every subsequent DECC press release. It is STILL subject to parliamentary approval even in its current significantly diminished proposed format. I have totally lost faith in the will, competence, desire or ability of DECC to deliver this policy since I have watched it being systematically watered down over the past 3 years. I would caution anyone basing their installation and through life costings on the figures from DECC (and trotted out by installers / suppliers) to be vary wary of this element of "pay-back" on the investment.

I agree.

No one should base their "payback" or whether they can afford a biomass heating system on grants that may or may not happen.

Biomass is not for everyone. If you are replacing a gas boiler, fit a new condensing gas boiler. If you live off the gas grid in a rural area then biomass is certainly worth considering.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

No one should base their "payback" or whether they can afford a biomass heating system on grants that may or may not happen.

Biomass is not for everyone. If you are replacing a gas boiler, fit a new condensing gas boiler. If you live off the gas grid in a rural area then biomass is certainly worth considering.

Mate, I hope that didn't come across as trying to contradict your points, or be picky, it wasn't meant as such. Any frustration I have is singularly with DECC which, as a department, I hold in low regard because of the empty promises over the past 3 years. To be completely honest, I have no regrets going biomass (I am a big fan) and would still advocate the change if someone has a suitable set of requirements / circumstances. The RHI would have been the cherry on top of the cake if it had been delivered as and when it was originally proposed. I still feel like I've got the cake, maybe (some of) the cherry will come later but I'm not holding my breath!

We've a Perge 30KW log boiler with 2500lt accumulator which is situated in the garage; its a new 4 bed room house with UFH downstairs and radiators upstairs & an unvented HW tank in the house feed from the accumulator. Roughly 13K for the boiler, accumulator and installation, no VAT as it was a new build. During the summer one burn every 4 days was sufficient for hot water, currently burning once a day (a full load then a top up) for all hot water and heating, using approx. 1 1/2m3 per week of SW.

Very happy with the system, house very warm and loads of hot water, but we buy in cord & process all our own logs, otherwise it would be expensive.

TC

I had been accepted for the NI RHI scheme.

I declined to progress with the installation until they decided exactly how much they were for paying and how it was to be measured or calculated.

My 6 month period has expired.

I may reapply.

BUT

I am NOT for buying into an as yet unspecified "pig in a poke" scheme.

Regards,

Marcus

we have just got hold of a nice farm 2000 (small one) and will be using it with a acculator tank and combining that alongside our oil system - having to get wood in now for it as have no real sense of how much wood ill need seasoned to run the bugger. im thiking a 1/3 of a cube a day maybe?

I had been accepted for the NI RHI scheme.

I declined to progress with the installation until they decided exactly how much they were for paying and how it was to be measured or calculated.

My 6 month period has expired.

I may reapply.

BUT

I am NOT for buying into an as yet unspecified "pig in a poke" scheme.

Regards,

Marcus

Fair one! I feel wholly let down by DECC's inability to deliver previous (pie in the sky) promises.