Who can find the First HC Leaf Miner?

Amelanchier

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point Rupe, but it's not been any where near the reported -23 degrees that the pupae can tolerate.

We would need a mini ice age to impact upon their mortality.

Interesting! A nearby tree officer has told me that the cold may have killed them off! Of course if they can tolerate -23 then there is no chance.

Many chestnuts here had lost all there leaves by August and never had any conkers, it will eb interesting to watch this year.

I found one large chestnut at a private house less than 20 miles away with absolutley no leaf minor at all! I'll go and look at that one this year too...

Whilst working at a private arboretum today I witnessed clouds (thousands) of C. ohridella adult moths emerging and taking flight in and around mature Horse Chestnut trees. The trees in question were still surrounded by last years foliage so no wonder really but I've never seen so many... I hope this isn't an ominous sign of things to come?

Whilst working at a private arboretum today I witnessed clouds (thousands) of C. ohridella adult moths emerging and taking flight in and around mature Horse Chestnut trees. The trees in question were still surrounded by last years foliage so no wonder really but I've never seen so many... I hope this isn't an ominous sign of things to come?

We've been getting the same manifestation every year, like you describe, for the past 5 years.

But then we're only 10 miles or so away from the original outbreak at Wimbledon.

Will be going to a London Tree Officers meet in a couple of weeks, where there'll be an update on the spread of the Oak Prossesionary Moth.

Been trapping for OPM for the last couple of years but no sign up until now.

New pheramone traps go up in a few weeks.

Moths from today at work, on the target tree which had our first outbreak here in 2005.

No mines as yet.

Probably a few weeks yet on this particular tree.

I'd imagine they will start laying eggs in the next week or so, and pupae will emerge in early to mid May.

I'lll get back when I note the first ones.

First shot is on an Ivy leaf, as this little fella has just emerged from the leaf litter and is preparing for its first solo flight :biggrin:

DSC00529.jpg.e84b88f94cf8fae56730a15e2c15d8de.jpg

DSC00527.jpg.183cf27ddd69bafc29f64dd3c145080d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...