SRT With DRT Gear question

Don't bother trying.

I have tried and it doesn't work at all. Not even nearly.

Plus, the device may fail and you would fall to the ground.

Haha yes it was tongue in cheek hence the :P

If it worked people would be doing it.. Im hoping to get a rope runner although I was late to jump in on the SRJ order :blushing:

Pretty please can I have one Kevin its all I want for christmas:biggrin:

Certain death:001_tongue:

They're not designed nor tested for srt use. The lockjack and spiderjack need the additional attachment to allow smooth function. Having said that, I've tried the LJ,SJ, ZZ1 and just a hitch on srt on their own and they all function to a certain extent, though I'd strongly advise not trying to use them!

If you want a compact, single device SRT system, get a Hitchiker or a Unicender mate, you can even get a uni over there without everyone thinking you're some kind of voodoo death-defying nutjob:001_smile:

I've tried the SJ on SRT and it works to a degree like you said but isn't that great, that's what got my brain ticking

The uni is next on the list :) I like the full chaff experience

When you descend ddrt, the descent device is the limb that your rope is over, lockjacks, zig zag, and hitches are really only ascent devices. A rope wrench is like a descent device to work with your ascent device so you don't need the limb. I have found a zig zag + a wrench To be really really smooth.

Do not agree with that entirely, a Hitch, ZZ and the jacks in the European market are the few devices designed as work positioning tools which means both ascent and descent. I appreciate your point about the limb but that is the anchor point even an srt system needs that even if it does not rely on it for descent.

Do you think the new ZZ was designed with the RW in mind? As they have increased the pivot radius on the link chain, I cannot figure why as it was fine before unless you used the device SRT with say a RW.

Do not agree with that entirely, a Hitch, ZZ and the jacks in the European market are the few devices designed as work positioning tools which means both ascent and descent. I appreciate your point about the limb but that is the anchor point even an srt system needs that even if it does not rely on it for descent.

Do you think the new ZZ was designed with the RW in mind? As they have increased the pivot radius on the link chain, I cannot figure why as it was fine before unless you used the device SRT with say a RW.

They are only rated for work positioning on a double line which means that they require the friction from the anchor point to work. But they also supply some friction on their own but they just don't really work on a single line without the aid of something like a wrench. I haven't taken a good look at the new zz. My experience was with the old zig zag and only kn an indoor tree at a trade show. It seemed to work awesome. I think petzl is very aware that many people will be incorporating a wrench. I believe though that if they wanted to just incorporate another zig or zag that the device would probably work just fine SRT without additional friction.

They are only rated for work positioning on a double line which means that they require the friction from the anchor point to work. But they also supply some friction on their own but they just don't really work on a single line without the aid of something like a wrench. I haven't taken a good look at the new zz. My experience was with the old zig zag and only kn an indoor tree at a trade show. It seemed to work awesome. I think petzl is very aware that many people will be incorporating a wrench. I believe though that if they wanted to just incorporate another zig or zag that the device would probably work just fine SRT without additional friction.

It's just a theory of mine that Petzl may of made some changes to better suit the RW although it's probably just as likely another reason for the change.

I never really thought that it's friction these devices need to function correctly more division of load, as in they do not work smoothly when carrying the full weight of a climber.