Firewood Log ID required for newbie!

swatson

Hi, my name is Stephen and I live in Clydebank. I have a found a source of free logs for my woodfired oven however I am unsure as to what type of wood the logs are. They do not have any winter buds on them nor leaves so I am at a loss identifying them, can anyone help???

image.jpg.8109edd7aa0216db8b564b4f6d86de5a.jpg

Buzzsurgeon thank you for replyin, It could be both as there were all different logs lying around would it help if I took different shots of them, I could lay a few of them out? How are these woods as a firewood as Ive heard Alder isnt very good, I dont want to fill my shed and find out they are not very good for burning..

I agree the first photo looks like birch and the second looks like alder or goats willow.

TBH if your getting the wood for free I wouldn't worry whether they are good burners or not so long as its are well seasoned it'll will burn fine. Some wood you may have to top the stove up more often than others but that will be your only problem

Sam

Buzzsurgeon thank you for replyin, It could be both as there were all different logs lying around would it help if I took different shots of them, I could lay a few of them out? How are these woods as a firewood as Ive heard Alder isnt very good, I dont want to fill my shed and find out they are not very good for burning..

hi if you are getting wood free I would not worry about the spieces but cut and split it asap and stack off the ground against the outside of shed but only cover the top to stop the rain. .The drier you can get them the hotter the will burn.