What to consider.. Pricing a job

samthornton1990

Sounds like £30 to me and catch when passing.:sneaky2:

4 blips with a saw and that's the felling sorted and a once over something else with a hedge cutter.:001_rolleyes:

Unless there 7' high oak stumps 4 ' wide and the bushes are the Rhodes are big enough you could hide a lorry behind then don't go bonkers, especially if it's your first job.

Calculating how much fuel you use in a saw is taking it a bit far , a gallon of 2 stroke mix can make you a few £K, don't focus on the little twigs when there's a huge pile of brash needing chipped:laugh1:

I agree with Stephen, this sounds like a 30-40 minute job to me, I would do it next time im in the area and charge about £50.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some fair points here, but if he says this is his first job then he wont be "swinging past" on his way home from another job! Its always hard to price jobs when you are starting out as I am finding! he needs to charge enough to make it worth his while but not too expensive so he dosent get the job! I would say around £120.

As Big T said, a lot of these points are valid.

It's a 40 mile round trip for me and an hours driving. I said him a price and said that cause it's my first job I'll renegotiate price with him. I do eventually want to run my own surgery so any critism is good.... all a learning curve for me.

As for the fuel... just got 2.5L off my Grandad for free :)

As Big T said, a lot of these points are valid.

It's a 40 mile round trip for me and an hours driving. I said him a price and said that cause it's my first job I'll renegotiate price with him. I do eventually want to run my own surgery so any critism is good.... all a learning curve for me.

As for the fuel... just got 2.5L off my Grandad for free :)

The price of the job shouldn't be dictated by distances or equipement. It's what it's worth. Ask the customer what he wants to pay for the job.

If the job is worth £50, then it's up to you to deduct your expenses and then see if it's worthwhile for you to do it .

A couple of 7 foot trees and couple of bushes, thats 4 little cuts for the chainsaw, can't the owners do it themselves for crying out loud,with a bushman/hacksaw, if they cant do this how do they manage with other aspects of their lives? A 7 foot tree is only a medium size christmas tree incomparrison.

A couple of 7 foot trees and couple of bushes, thats 4 little cuts for the chainsaw, can't the owners do it themselves for crying out loud,with a bushman/hacksaw, if they cant do this how do they manage with other aspects of their lives? A 7 foot tree is only a medium size christmas tree incomparrison.

I have disabled and elderly customers :sneaky2:

i'd tell them where to go in no uncertain terms.

or you could just decline there quote and get some others! I go to a lot of jobs that the owners show me other companies quotes and some are just shocking! we done a council job back in the summer only a day and a half's work for one man bit of a PITA job so priced it accordingly didn't expect to get it as I thought my quote was way over the top (but was the minimum I was willing to do it for) any way ended up getting the job (and several more since from them) worked hard, made good money then found out that another company had quoted way way higher than me and was running round getting all up tite that I had priced it so low! they had the same chance as me and there is no reason what so ever that the quote needed to be more than what I had quoted