New to tree climbing!

tractor dave

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and to tree climbing, i've been doing ground work (chipper and tree felling etc) but i'm thinking of venturing into the trees!

What sort of gear would you reckomend i need to just do beginners tree climbing and which harness would you reckomend (i realise its personal preference, but just to see which harness to avoid), i've been told the komet butterfly harness with seat is a particually good one?

Cheers

Dave. :001_cool:

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and to tree climbing, i've been doing ground work (chipper and tree felling etc) but i'm thinking of venturing into the trees!

What sort of gear would you reckomend i need to just do beginners tree climbing and which harness would you reckomend (i realise its personal preference, but just to see which harness to avoid), i've been told the komet butterfly harness with seat is a particually good one?

Cheers

Dave. :001_cool:

Firstly welcome to the arbtalk :001_cool:

When it comes to harnesses i would recomened attending a trade show where you would have the chance to sit in the harness and try it out, as a harness may feel really uncomfortable on the ground but once in suspension it will feel different, or vice versa. Good luck on the climbing side of things, its not for everyone but i for one really enjoy it :001_smile:

Tom

I could be wrong, but before you go ordering a Butterfly and expecting to find a seat, I think the Komet Dragonfly is the seated version.

You'll find yourself having to order the seat separately otherwise. Personally, I'm not a fan of the seats.

And Tom's given you some sound advice there. I have a Treemotion. It's adjustable in almost every way, and with a few days of tinkering is very comfortable.

To start I think you'll be fine with about 5 caribiners, but it depends what your set-up is.

I use one for my mainline and friction hitch because I like to keep everything as neat as I can. Two for my lanyard (one at each end obviously). That'll get you into the tree and moving around. If you're going to be using re-directs etc, you'll need more.

You'll also need a few to keep your kit on your harness, but you don't have to buy the triple locks for that.

Yup Komets are a good harness, get a steel flipline-krabs on both ends, Yale orange one is good, an a steel krab on yr spliced end fr throwing yr rope up ovr the branches as you ascend-cos ( like me) yr throwbag throwing wont always work out:closedeyes:.....practise on easy trees at the weeknds, to build yr shoulders up an buy a folding pruning saw fr yr pocket, then you wont be dropping yr silky out of its silly holster.

K