Aerial Rescue Law

Lancstree

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work on being proactive Dave.

How long do you think it would have taken to access the tree if the climber used spikes? - either with the access line (run against or near to the stem) or without?

I'm not sure Pete, maybe a little quicker.

spikes do have a bad habit of slipping though (possibly more so when used under stress)

If I'm honest, I don't think the spikes are always out with us anyway.

We endeavour to carry out planned and random AR. Usually about 6 monthly. All our guys are trained to climb and cut so we don't tend to differentiate between climbers and groundies. Everyone climbs, though some more than others.

The beauty of the practice sessions is that when a real situation presents itself the stress levels don't rise too high and the rescuer is more capable of reacting correctly and to the best of his/her ability.

Don't forget that it isn't always the time to get the IP down. Getting to them and administering first aid is, IMO, more important.

All the guys have climbing kits so there should always be at least 2 kits on site. As they are PPE they should be familiar with their own stuff too.

We all use broadly similar climbing hitches and techniques so we don't have to learn too much. If a new climber brought some super-duper kit and rope access technique we'd look at it to make sure we were familiar.

Big awkward trees often get an extra line in and there are generally ladders about too.

For a council to not spend time doing this sort of preparation is pretty poor.

No offense David but how come it took 12 mins??

No offence taken bro, its a work in progress.

New guys working together & as eluded to above, getting used to new climbing systems & equipment.

I'd expect that the time would be halved at least if/when its next attempted.

I'll update. :thumbup1: