Aerial Rescue Law

Lancstree

I asked this question on treebuzz but I've since stumbled upon this forum so here it is again.

We are aware it is law to have people who are involved in tree work operations to be qualified in aerial rescue.

Is there any referrence in law or health and safety literature to state that aerial rescue must be practiced regularly?

What good is aerial rescue qualifications if we are unable to rescue confidently? What good is law stating there should be aerial rescue qualified people on jobs when companies do not seem to be obliged to allow practice in work time?

As far as I know, it is only 'reccommended' that teams practice aerial rescue.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping to Steve but in the two years in this particular crew it has only been mentioned a few times and I brought it up each time. My team leader should be the one being proactive on this subject and we have recieved in writing a recommendation from the health and safety department to carry out regular practice. These words are still being taken too lightly for my liking. We've had plenty of opportunity when work has been a bit slack or we are between scheduled jobs but we end up doing pointless things instead. Its just one of my ongoing gripes at work! Don't get me wrong, I love the job and I want to keep doing it, so as I see it rescue practice is part of staying alive and healthy.

In this case the team leader is essentially the groundie. Our three man team consists of two climbers and a 'team leader'. When one person is absent it becomes a two man team and there is no person available to fill in to make it three again. In a tight team such as this I reckon all should be trained and kept up to date by practicing. I work in local government

We have a statuatory aerial rescue session once a month that everyone takes part in. It might take up a bit of time but what price safety? As a climber its nice knowing that everyone on site is trained to do rescues-but of course you hope they never have to.

Thats right Drew. Once a month is ideal and its good for team moral. But how do you convince someone who has this attitude... "well I'd just put the spikes on as thats the quickest way up the tree.." or in the case of only two people on site "we'd just do jobs where I can stand on the roof of the van to rescue.."?

Are these valid reasons for not practicing? I don't think so