Hardwood planks

richardwale

Hi,

I'm looking to buy some timber boards / planks to make some log racks from. The timber dimensions that I think would work are 250mm wide 25mm thick by 500/1000/1500 height. Ideally the boards would be hardwood but I'm very open to suggestions on any softwoods. I'm based in surrey so please factor in shipping if required. Thanks for any help,

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard, where in Surrey and how many of each size?

Do you mind if it's green or seasoned?

I'll be milling some suitably sized semi-dry oak this weekend.

Alec

Hi Alec,

Based in Woking. Let's say 5 of each to start. Does it make a difference if it's green or seasoned? They are going to be wall mounted log racks?

I make that 3.3cu.ft total

The differences between green and seasoned are price (seasoned is more) and whether it shrinks or moves (green will shrink, but in the width and thickness rather than the length where shrinkage on this length wil be negligible). Whether this is a problem or not depends a lot on your design.

Are these for indoor or outdoor use? If outdoor, I suggest either using a naturally durable timber such as oak, sweet chestnut, robinia or larch, or applying a series of coats of something.

Alec

I make that 3.3cu.ft total

The differences between green and seasoned are price (seasoned is more) and whether it shrinks or moves (green will shrink, but in the width and thickness rather than the length where shrinkage on this length wil be negligible). Whether this is a problem or not depends a lot on your design.

Are these for indoor or outdoor use? If outdoor, I suggest either using a naturally durable timber such as oak, sweet chestnut, robinia or larch, or applying a series of coats of something.

Alec

Let's go for green, they will season soon enough and and movement will only add character. They are for indoor use.