Chimney downdraft

Wolfie

Sounds like the start of what forced me to move house a few years back, neighbour was an end of a bell, said he had spent hours clearing pin needles from our pine tree and that the gnats around it may do him serious damage.

He was a right male chicken IMO, neighbours....:001_rolleyes: Not too bad up here - think they all owe me favours now - thats the way I like it:thumbup:

I can say that legaly, the neighbour has no right to get the trees reduced, they can claim for any damage or debris that has to be removed from gutters etc or for root damage etc.

They can cut back any branches and roots over their boundary but if it makes the trees unsafe then it is their liabillity.

Great thing garden law - lets pay the lawyers a fortune for not too much work!

Has the chimney got a decent cowl on it? I think it would be reasonable thing to request before spending a fortune on tree work - this is ours - Downdraught Chimney Pot - Twin Wall Flue Cowl - Buy Online ? Windkat Chimney Cowls

Next door but one reckons it looks like a Darlek:lol:

Also, if the chimney gets cold, it can often take a while to draw and needs heat in it before it works OK - this is the issue we had and it was resolved by the new cowl!

What happens if it is caused by a neighbours roof design - knock his house down:001_rolleyes::lol:

Perhaps my old neighbour has moved house:001_rolleyes:

It is highly likely that this tree is causing the issue. One way to check is the problem probably occurs on lighting when there is little heat or draw in the flue and the wind is coming from the direction of the offending tree.

I have had trees and buildings 80 yards from a clients house cause down drafts.

The solution is an anti down draft cowl fitted to the top of the chimney pot. I sell ones made by Eurocowl, never had a failure yet. Do NOT fit an H cowl, the horizontal pipe is un sweepable and will block solid in a couple of years.

You will be unable to get the tree owner to reduce the tree, the top would need to be below your roof height and it may well be covered by a TPO.

A

There you go Ed, get whingy pants to fit a fecking cowl - my money is on the fact he won't bother - sounds like the type who likes to complain but doesn't want to leave his armchair and do something about it.

I am sure Martin could sweet talk him:blushing::001_rolleyes::lol::lol:

Now that is something I would pay money to see:lol:

Good luck bud!