tracked post knockers vs tractor.

Matthew Storrs

i done a conversion for allison enterprises last year it was a terex pt80 which is a big skid steer about 5-6 ton and the post knocker was a bryce off a tractor it was a serious piece of kit amazing at how quick it could rattle a strainer in and it was also converted to electric controls but it still need 2 people to do the job which was the only downside but very effective non the less

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The neatest set up for a post knocker I have ever seen was a 4x4 dumper that had the skip taken off the front , the guy fitted a tray in its place which he chucked all his hand tools on and a hiab arm at the very front with a knocker a bit like the one on the clip above . It must of had 5mts of reach ,it also had a quick hitch on the back so he could pull all the materials along on a trailer behind him. He had put a lot of thought into it with lockers on the sides and things like work lights , it even had a third service for a hydraulic breaker. It really was an all in one fencing machine.

Bob

Brother in law had a 3CX years ago and that would just push a 4x4 post into the floor without any knocking using the back actor with a bucket on. He is a very good operator though been doing it for 40+ years and knows a few tricks. The one on the digger looks like a pecker with a post knocker welded on instead of the bit, cut the end off a fire extinguisher and you're half way there.

i done a conversion for allison enterprises last year it was a terex pt80 which is a big skid steer about 5-6 ton and the post knocker was a bryce off a tractor it was a serious piece of kit amazing at how quick it could rattle a strainer in and it was also converted to electric controls but it still need 2 people to do the job which was the only downside but very effective non the less

Men in sheds rule:)

Bob

Ive tried to upload a few pics of mine, I bought a 3t Kubota tracked dumper then a mate of mine and myself put my wrag knocker on the back, fantastic machine! If needed the knocker can come off and go back on the tractor. It will go on some serious slopes if its dry and work in bogs no problem. I fence on my own and wouldn't be without it

WP_20131104_003.jpg.29c14bc535620c000bb2f181cb82f5a7.jpg

5976671ee1c2f_WP_20130608_002(1).jpg.3571a3378036e091c34b7b35ac45fdf5.jpg

WP_20130608_001.jpg.4e9e9e4cee7a5cd5ff036ab5eee6290a.jpg

I've just recently changed to a tracked post driver. I started out with a lease hired New Holland and post driver, then bought an older tractor but found the hydraulics too slow compared to the more modern tractor so decided to replace them both with a tracked machine.

The advantages are as you say, no in and out the tractor all day long, it's a more compact machine so can get through the trees and into tight corners etc

It's easily moved from site to site BUT they are heavy, mine is 2.8 ton so I often end up moving it behind the tractor anyway :-/

I'd say it's good on steep slopes if going up and down.... I'm not looking forward to using it on a steep side slope though, I've had it quite tippy on a relative gentle side slope already and there is no option for dual wheels like I used to have on the tractor on some sites!

I've just recently changed to a tracked post driver. I started out with a lease hired New Holland and post driver, then bought an older tractor but found the hydraulics too slow compared to the more modern tractor so decided to replace them both with a tracked machine.

The advantages are as you say, no in and out the tractor all day long, it's a more compact machine so can get through the trees and into tight corners etc

It's easily moved from site to site BUT they are heavy, mine is 2.8 ton so I often end up moving it behind the tractor anyway :-/

I'd say it's good on steep slopes if going up and down.... I'm not looking forward to using it on a steep side slope though, I've had it quite tippy on a relative gentle side slope already and there is no option for dual wheels like I used to have on the tractor on some sites!

Good honest opinion, thanks.

I think probably seeing as I have a digger and post driver already to do awkward areas/soft ground etc, I will probably stick with the tractor and knocker too. With my Wrag post driver iv got, I asked them to make it so it has its own pump and reservoir, this has the advantage that the weight goes up very quickly with the tractor just ticking over, I save a lot in diesel.

Tomorrow I am going to look at a newer bigger tractor, it is my hope that the added stability will make it that much 'nicer' on steep ground which I do an awful lot. Recently I have been doing jobs where I have to drive the tractor for about 25mins over rough granite strewn moorland, I think I would find it quite frustrating taking a tracked machine over the same ground.

Cheers for the input chaps! Some good looking machines you all own!

Ive had mine on some good side slopes! steep enough to empty all the posts out of the rack! you'll be fine if you keep the weight side of the knocker up the hill, the other way is dodgy and you can end up slipping into the fence. Mine has got a hydraulic leg on both sides and they are wider than the tracks so that helps. You'll have a job to roll it with the weight transfer right, she might lift a track every now and again but that makes it more exciting!

Ive tried to upload a few pics of mine, I bought a 3t Kubota tracked dumper then a mate of mine and myself put my wrag knocker on the back, fantastic machine! If needed the knocker can come off and go back on the tractor. It will go on some serious slopes if its dry and work in bogs no problem. I fence on my own and wouldn't be without it

Hi Spikey which model wrag is that, it it the 'Penna' side shift? I suppose there is nothing to stop you putting a swing round machine on a tracked knocker, gives you that much more scope to get into awkward corners:thumbup1:

Yep its a Penna, I am going to ring Tim Wright in the morning and see if he will sort me out with a commander xl headstock and female bit of the side shift and then I can use my mast with tilt rams and rock spike so should be a bit cheaper than a whole new machine! It is difficult in tight corners as the levers are in the wrong place. What wrag have you got? You can buy a second hand dumper for 10k or so and put your knocker on it (need to uprate the pump), if you work on your own it will be your best mate! I can run mine all day on 10-15 ltrs of diesel and carry all my materials/tools on it, unroll wire etc and its so handy being able to drive it from both ends. Its got me loads of jobs I couldn't do with a tractor and will give you the edge over your competitors.

Yep its a Penna, I am going to ring Tim Wright in the morning and see if he will sort me out with a commander xl headstock and female bit of the side shift and then I can use my mast with tilt rams and rock spike so should be a bit cheaper than a whole new machine! It is difficult in tight corners as the levers are in the wrong place. What wrag have you got? You can buy a second hand dumper for 10k or so and put your knocker on it (need to uprate the pump), if you work on your own it will be your best mate! I can run mine all day on 10-15 ltrs of diesel and carry all my materials/tools on it, unroll wire etc and its so handy being able to drive it from both ends. Its got me loads of jobs I couldn't do with a tractor and will give you the edge over your competitors.

that sounds like a top piece of kit