tracked post knockers vs tractor.

Matthew Storrs

A tracked post knocker is something I'm seriously looking into at the moment, I prefer to do most of my fencing alone and am finding the logistics of tractor mounted ones rather awkward. Ie in and out of the cab every time to move in from post to post, and also means on big jobs I either need to get someone to pick me up so I can leave the tractor on the jobs or go home in the tractor every night which is madness if your working any distance away.

So, I can tow the potential tracked knocker to the job with the landrover and leave it on site leaving me to go home in the landrover every night and I don't have to pay someone to sit in the tractor cab to move it from post to post or jumping in and out if I do it myself.

Sorry- I'll get to the point. If never used a tracked post driver what are they like working accross steepish ground and do you find lack of ground clearance to be a problem when working in rough country/tracks coming off etc?

Cheers

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a knocker but used a track barrow a lot (wacker-nueson). The tracks only come off when you do something silly. Very stable too.

I like your thinking. Something like a boxer then you could also use it as a loader for pallets of fence posts on/off a trailer, auger etc.

Also, if you could loose the 2nd man for a year it's bought and paid for! ;)

I would be quite happy with a boxer mounted knocker the only problem being you have to twist and turn for each post as its not side mounted, also I need at least a 200kg hammer weight like on my tractor otherwise I'll be struggling with strainers- not sure a boxer could handle a post driver with that weight.

I have one on my mini digger which I love but again with only a 120kg hammer weight it struggles with strainers sometimes.

Keep the ideas coming, the main points being- it needs to be side mounted- tow behind landrover and able to support a biggish hammer weight.

Tracks will only come off if the running gear and tracks are worn.

Get yourself a little 1 tonner with all the gear set up for fencing and I doubt you would ever regret it, tracks are the future:001_smile:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeno6LIvk8&feature=youtube_gdata_player]James White Fencing and Gates Ltd post driver video - YouTube[/ame]

I have quite extensively used the protec tracked knocker and can honestly say if I had a lot of fencing to do I would have one! Great on slopes/steep ground and low ground pressure so doesn't make much of a mark. It's built on a tracked dumper so load it up with all your materials and off you go. I also made up some custom attachments for it for rolling out wire while you track and knock posts and also a way of tensioning the wire so cuts out the use of monkey pullers and saves a lot of time and effort. They are definitely the machine to have if you have a lot of fencing to do!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App