Rayco RG1625

Countryside Services

Hi guys looking into getting my first stump grinder I've seen a Rayco RG1625, looks and sounds good from the pictures. What should I be looking at? Other than the obvious bearing belts etc. how many hours would you expect from a 2002 machine? Did some maths and I came up with 1500hrs? And what should I be expecting to pay?

Hi ya breezeblock.

Thanks for that. I looked at it yesterday, turns out its a ex hire machine! Got good records of work carried out on it. But no hour meter. It has a fair amount of play in the side to side pivots and rear steering pin. Would this be a case of replacing with new bushes, or is it more complex than that? Seems to run up ok, and move, apart from the steering. Didn't get a chance at a slope, but ran it round their yard. It's up for 2750+, which seems a bit steep with the work that needs doing and the lack of hr meter. What do you reckon? Cheers Sam.

Our engine blew at 1100 hours and had to replace it. Make sure none of the rams are bent. Check the locking pin for the drive wheels sits home properly and the housing isn't fractured. Make sure it'll actually grind a stump. Try it out on a big bit of wood. Sometimes the teeth on the drive belt are worn or some are missing. When you replace it, make sure it is used gently for the first 10 hours and then check the tension and tighten. If you don't you'll lose the belt in 30-40hrs of work. Check the cutter head bearings for play. They should have grease nipples in them, though they really don't need a great deal of grease as they should be sealed units. Too much and the pressure wrecks them.

Most of the parts that do break are available anywhere so you do not have to go to the importers.

The key thing to remember is that, though it looks a big machine, it's actually quite small and if it's bullied it'll break. Look after it and it'll do you well. Ours did 6+ years before trading in for a predator38.

Cheers for that redmoosefaction.

Looked at one on YouTube. Looks a bit of a beast. How much are you looking at for one?

Global recycling (on here) do them and I think they come in around the 6-7k mark, he may have an ex demo or 2nd hand one available, and the new one, (which I would definitely go for) is only 25" wide, that makes it an ultimately more versatile machine as it is both short and narrow and with the same size engine as the 1625.

No brainer! Hell I think i'll go and get one

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/large-equipment/65432-new-bandit-hb20-sidewinder.html

Hi ya breezeblock.

Thanks for that. I looked at it yesterday, turns out its a ex hire machine! Got good records of work carried out on it. But no hour meter. It has a fair amount of play in the side to side pivots and rear steering pin. Would this be a case of replacing with new bushes, or is it more complex than that? Seems to run up ok, and move, apart from the steering. Didn't get a chance at a slope, but ran it round their yard. It's up for 2750+, which seems a bit steep with the work that needs doing and the lack of hr meter. What do you reckon? Cheers Sam.

that sound like not a bad deal i would buy it and do a bit of repairs at a time when you can afford it i don't know if its bushes or just steel on steel in the pivots but they are quite a simple machine have you got a picture to see it

The sidewinder and a Rayco 1625 is two different machines, i have had both and i would never consider a manually operated stumpgrinder again. I just finished grinding a stump measuring over 7 feet across, about 5-6 hours grinding, and no sore arms/shoulders/back or anything. I bought my first Rayco 1620, a beat up old machine in 2003 and the year after i bought a brand new 1631, witch i'm still running. I have had very few problems with it, a leaking cylinder and a broke hour meter, both covered under warranty, and both brackets for side swing cylinders have had to be welded. The most expensive component on the machine is the engine, so take a good look at it.Belts and bearings is consumeables on a stumpgrinder and pricevise not a big deal.

The swing cylinders have hardned bushings in the brackets.

The price look fair to me.