New build barns and Business Rates

clasp

Im thinking of erecting a steel framed barn for storage etc. I know that this will need planning permission but will the planning officer deem that the building should be subject to business rates or is that nothing to do with him ? It may be that we use it for keeping the vehicles in or other items. We live in our house which is part of the plot of land of several acres. How is this all determined and if so what are the cost implications for the use of such a building,in other words is it worth it ?

I am in the same situation and am going to use permitted development. Just make sure that any use you state to the planners is agricultural, storing non agricultural vehicles or goods will mean that they will require full planning permission, choose the wording of your application very carefully!

And if you store timber or an arb vehicle could that be grouped together with agricultural vehicles ?

• 5 weeks later...

sorry to hijack the thread!

I am currently having an appeal with the VOA, they have put a rateable value of £15750 on my 60' x 30' steel building 1 x 20' shipping container and 80' x 100' but of rough hard standing. I was under the impression that is I was doing woodland management it would come under forestry and agriculture and be rate exempt. I have searched local people doing similar work and not one is on the rating list!

Really dont know where to go from here

sorry to hijack the thread!

I am currently having an appeal with the VOA, they have put a rateable value of £15750 on my 60' x 30' steel building 1 x 20' shipping container and 80' x 100' but of rough hard standing. I was under the impression that is I was doing woodland management it would come under forestry and agriculture and be rate exempt. I have searched local people doing similar work and not one is on the rating list!

Really dont know where to go from here

Which came first? The building or the permission?

If no planning permission was sought then it sounds like you need to go through a Retrospective Permitted Development route, but I'm not sure how / if that is possible?

If planning was originally sought & granted then i guess it was for commercial use? (which is why they are asking for rate payments), if so then you need to go for change of use (for agricultural forestry purposes).

Having had a few dealings with local planning authorites over the last couple of years we always use a trusted planning consultant to handle our applications.

It costs a couple of hundred quid but she has ensured that

1) I haven't wasted money on an application that is not likely to gain approval and 2) that we haven't been bullied by the LA planning departments.

A couple of friends have submitted similar application to ours and it sounds like the planning department have tried to knock them back and impose changes and conditions on dubious grounds. We had none of those issues and I'm guessing it's because they knew the consultant would of pulled their (the LA) argument to pieces.