What softwoods do people sell for firewood?

farmer_ben

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sell mostly softwood, probably 90%. Most species burn just fine, I don't see the hang up that most people have with selling softwood, I sell at least 100 ton of it a year. Larch especially burns really well.

i agree softwood is fine its alot easier to work with and defianetely alot less work than a big old knarly oak if its seasoned right most things will burn ok:thumbup:

We have a few acres+ of Sitka & Western Hemlock that needs felling as it's sucking all the light away from the native trees. So they have to go.

I went on a training day last week, part of it was about how important it is to season wood properly, not only a good fire, but also for low smoke emissions/ air pollution. I did ask if softwoods are suitable for burning, answer: "yes"...just so long as it's seasoned well (20% or below).

A mistake people often make is thinking that it's okay to throw the occasional unseasoned log into the fire.... but it's a real waste of heat & increases risk of deposits building up in the chimney + air pollution.

We may be selling our own well seasoned softwood firewood sometime in the future.

Don't see a problem with it myself....

We have a few acres+ of Sitka & Western Hemlock that needs felling as it's sucking all the light away from the native trees. So they have to go.

I went on a training day last week, part of it was about how important it is to season wood properly, not only a good fire, but also for low smoke emissions/ air pollution. I did ask if softwoods are suitable for burning, answer: "yes"...just so long as it's seasoned well (20% or below).

A mistake people often make is thinking that it's okay to throw the occasional unseasoned log into the fire.... but it's a real waste of heat & increases risk of deposits building up in the chimney + air pollution.

We may be selling our own well seasoned softwood firewood sometime in the future.

Don't see a problem with it myself....

go for it :thumbup: the more people that have some the better :thumbup::thumbup:

go for it :thumbup: the more people that have some the better :thumbup::thumbup:

Been doing mixed softwood for a few years now. The hardest thing is getting people to change. Cuts easy, dries quickly and light to shift. I'm probably going 100% softwood next year. If people don't want it then they will go cold or pay £150 a cube for hardwood.

Agree 100%. Went 50/50 hard/soft this year; I would give up hardwood tommorow if folks would take it but it's going to take major educational effort to get their heads to take it in; the stove shops, chimney sweeps et al tell them they must burn only hardwood :001_rolleyes:

Agree 100%. Went 50/50 hard/soft this year; I would give up hardwood tommorow if folks would take it but it's going to take major educational effort to get their heads to take it in; the stove shops, chimney sweeps et al tell them they must burn only hardwood :001_rolleyes:

The other problem is getting hold of decent softwood, most of our local cutters are on PR infected larch and I've just been quoted £35 a cube for softwood delivered in!