aerial roots???

Stephen Blair

love the pollards at hatfield... live just down the road where you from?)

Hello Cz, I live just outside North London, so it's still a good hour from me, But ever since I visited whilst on an Oliver Rackham course 10 years ago, I've been suitably impressed by the past and present management.

I was up there at the Small Woods Association/Ancient Tree Forum get together with Ted Green at the Weekend.

Try to get up there every couple of years or so.

DSC00075.jpg.c0b21064919294929cfc4a2d9371ac40.jpg

DSC00063.JPG.751bc534807f95d354edc481bcb53cf1.JPG

DSC00056.jpg.5d1b690e368e50be961f95086d5ac538.jpg

DSC00130.jpg.e4573988f3f2e9c97f42ea99a811cb6f.jpg

DSC00008.jpg.afbc6bc262d29f424a2e66411399d842.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes bundle 2 i have had arial roots on oak trees and also arial roots come out on the inside of hollow oaks and go down to the ground to keep the tree alive.

Nice pics david bit to close to ted i think:001_smile:

Hi David,

Sorry you had such a shocking experience with excretia 2day mate ...!

I reckon I ve seen it on oak also...If you have any pics I would love to see them although they can be a little limited without some annotation sometimes...

I have also gotten bogged down in the scientific definitions of aerial vs adventitious but wonder if it isnt splitting hairs to some degree....

Anyhoo, I figured the idea was flawed....

http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/Bundle2/

From what i've learnt at college they are called adventitious roots, and can form from any dormant bud if the conditons are right (dark, wet)

Good call, the buds develop according to the conditions as far as I know. First time I saw this was way up in a poplar. There was a 2 metre long tear out wound which had started callusing but with roots coming from the callus to take advantage of the damp decaying wood.