Spikes

telhol

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to have a set of klien pole climber spikes with velcro pads, they were good, only problems with mine were the very short gaffs which slipped out on thick bark.

Since my kliens were old second hand spikes I decided to upgrade to something new.

I tried Buckingham titanium spikes, Bashlin alloy spike (like in burnhams pic but without the caddies) I much prefered the Bashlins.

Then I saw and held the carbon geckos at a arb show and well bought some with the short spike without trying them first.

I absoloutly love them, they are so comfortable to wear and grip the stem reliably so hardly any gaffing out. Only discomfort I get is when i'm on a pole with a big saw for a long time. For open crown trees they are superb

They are wicked strong, I keep mine in my kit bag which gets sat on, chucked of trucks and has other kit piled on top of it.

They do get scratched, and if you walk on gravel with them they get chipped and worn more than ali. If you look after them though there is no reason why they will not last many years.

I do think though that other than there lightness and sexiness I would of been just as happy with Bashlins and velcro pads.

They are o.k, I prefered the Bashlins myself, but I think I could get used to them.

You know the more I think about it, the more I wish I was'nt such a sucker for bling kit. I'd go for the standard alloy geckos otherwise, at least you can adjust the leg length.

They are all good if you set them up right, right length, leg pads that you like, and spike length that you prefer.

I was just as crap a climber in my kliens as I am in the geckos, only now I look good.