Show Demostration

Theocus

Some input would be appreciated here guys.

In a month or so i am heading to a small country fair and taking my business there to allow people to see who i am, what i do, hand out flyers etc etc. Approx 2-3000 people are expected throughout the day from my local area. I take some trees from a local nursery, local arb hire chap etc etc.

But this time the managers of the show want me to do a demo in the main arena of which i am in 2 minds, firstly it would be great PR but secondly what the hell would/could i do?

Cross cutting wood? Talk about trees, Our industry, wear a Borat thong and run around with a MS880?

Any ideas or should i just say no thanks!!!!!

the main arena will be very lonely, what we think is cool may look a bit boring to the crowd, especially if the falconry or evil kineevil guy has just jumped over a burning car. i would ask to have your stand beside a big tree, go the night before and stick some stuff up it, banners, shopping trolley etc. you could be flash and set up a micro phone and climb about talking like treevolution did at the apf years ago, but i would take a load of logs, chip some branches, get a few chainsaw carvings, offer some coffee and tea, loads of sweets for the kids. set up a fire basket and get the smoke going.good luck

the main arena will be very lonely, what we think is cool may look a bit boring to the crowd, especially if the falconry or evil kineevil guy has just jumped over a burning car. i would ask to have your stand beside a big tree, go the night before and stick some stuff up it, banners, shopping trolley etc. you could be flash and set up a micro phone and climb about talking like treevolution did at the apf years ago, but i would take a load of logs, chip some branches, get a few chainsaw carvings, offer some coffee and tea, loads of sweets for the kids. set up a fire basket and get the smoke going.good luck

Some very good ideas, cheers for that.

Its a great Idea, I've been asked to take part in a climbing demo at the Edinburgh treefest in the summer, it's for a training colledge, hopefully it'll be a great chence for a bit of free publicty. Any opportunity to show you're wares so to speak should be grabbed with both hands IMO especially in the current economic climate.:001_smile:

he,s right a tree on your stand etc gets a lot off atention so dose a chipper if you cipp a little bit now and then

we do the cumberland show every year last time we had guys up a tree dead wooding etc. and chipped it (with permission) we got intervewed for the radio and photo'd by papers

dont think we realy got any work from it on the day, but people might recognise logos etc at a later date.

Some very good ideas, cheers for that.

you need to stand out mate, this is a pr excercise. you would need to be from mars not to know what a tree surgeon is. you need something to catch there eyes. too noisy, wee kids cry. if its windy sawdust in the eyes. make it look woodlandy, push the firewood, have a small competition. big huge tub of sweeties. guess how many, get the tannoy man to give the result at 2 pm. first prize a toy stihl chainsaw for the kids. you will need to look like a lumberjack, so tartan padded shirts are a must. chipping demo, at a certain time, but to promote woodchip and echo this and that, make up small bags with company logo on it and give the chip and logs away. if there is a main arena, sponsor something and get a big banner. if there is a raffle, donate a morning of your time. i once got raffled at the hilton in dunkeld. i made 350quid, some old drunk lords wife demanded i only work in a thong at there estate. never did the work, she must have forgot they made me stand up and take a bow:blushing: but i did get a couple of grand out someone else that was there the next summer.:001_smile:

you need to stand out mate, this is a pr excercise. you would need to be from mars not to know what a tree surgeon is. you need something to catch there eyes. too noisy, wee kids cry. if its windy sawdust in the eyes. make it look woodlandy, push the firewood, have a small competition. big huge tub of sweeties. guess how many, get the tannoy man to give the result at 2 pm. first prize a toy stihl chainsaw for the kids. you will need to look like a lumberjack, so tartan padded shirts are a must. chipping demo, at a certain time, but to promote woodchip and echo this and that, make up small bags with company logo on it and give the chip and logs away. if there is a main arena, sponsor something and get a big banner. if there is a raffle, donate a morning of your time. i once got raffled at the hilton in dunkeld. i made 350quid, some old drunk lords wife demanded i only work in a thong at there estate. never did the work, she must have forgot they made me stand up and take a bow:blushing: but i did get a couple of grand out someone else that was there the next summer.:001_smile:

Mate your a legend, cracking ideas yet again, its all about thinking outside of the box.