Echo pole saw with hedge cutter attachment

drosa2004

Having just bought an echo 300 tele I got the info on these machines.

The stihl can run a trimmer but not extended. It does have a clutch at the engine end, but as others said it's not as well engineered as the echos.

The 300 echo is listed as being able to run the trimmer head, as is its smaller brother the 265, but when my dealer asked the uk importers tech guy, he said its advisable to only use the 300 closed up with the trimmer on due to the higher torque than the 265.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm, you may have a point Shane. Racking my grey cells now, my dealer did ring the rep about this weeks ago when I was looking into this. From recollection, he said both the 265 and 300 were designed to take a trimmer head and listed in the brochures as such. However, he advised it would be best to avoid using the 300 extended due to the extra power and chance of damaging the extendable shaft. This was only his opinion and nothing is mentioned in any documents.

It's worth commenting here too, the stihl was never "designed" to take a trimmer head. One will fit though, and many do put them on, but there are lots of reports of damaged shafts as a result.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you intend trimming with the 300, use it with caution if extended. It will probably be fine, but if in heavy going it will run the risk of damage, yet this may still stand up to it better than the stihl, although that may have its downside due to its extra power.

IMO, you can use the Echo trimmer with the original extension out, but if you add the extra additional extension you can only run the saw head. I have a 30 something year old Power pruner (forerunner of the echo) superb, well built, last for years. And all the modern bits bolt straight on!! :thumbup: best pole saw on the market IMO. Heavy? Well that's why I developed a gut as a counterbalance :biggrin:

Latest from an echo dealer - they have a small bit in the linkage (a kind of short 'scrificial' shaft) that is designed to fail before the shaft is shafted. It costs £15.00 to replace. Sounds like a miles better design than the Stihl.

Sarting to look like I've bought my last deutch shaftencutter. I hear an echo in the distance.

• 2 months later...