Generator

NFG

Hello all,

We are thinking of getting a generator for emergency use, will need to supply 1 * fridge freezer + 1 * chest freezer, both are A++ rated and use a couple of hundred watts plus lighting etc probably about 1Kw maximum continuous load so looking at rating around 2000 W & over so theres plenty of headroom.

Im aware of the starting current requirements of induction motors of approx 8 times run current. We havnt had one yet but power cuts of over 2 days can occur as we are fairly rural .

Would prefer to pay bit more for a quality one, ie Honda or SDMO

Any suggestions or recommendations?

TIA

N

Get a genuine honda engine not a naff chinese copy. 5kva is an economical size to buy then you know you are going to start your freezers and can sneek the odd large appliance on ie dish washer or tumble dryer.

For just 2 freezers and a few lights I would go 3 kva minimum.

If you think you may be off for a few days a pramac p6000s diesel set is ideal but your looking at 3k with vat.

At the moment the uk can produce 40% more power than we need within 2-5 years it will be down to 5% especially if the economy recovers. I think we will be in for rolling black outs.

Is this from watching the blackout

Just don't tell your neighbours!

Hello, no although I did watch some of it but found it somewhat irritating, Im no TV fan anyway .

Its part of our 'completely independent' plan, we have a lot of home produce in the freezers & its not only the hassle of replacement - a lot of time goes into production. Even if it got used once in 5 years a generator would be well worth it.

Thanks for all replies so far.

N

Get a genuine Honda engine not a naff Chinese copy. 5kva is an economical size to buy then you know you are going to start your freezers and can sneak the odd large appliance on ie dish washer or tumble dryer.

For just 2 freezers and a few lights I would go 3 kva minimum.

If you think you may be off for a few days a pramac p6000s diesel set is ideal but your looking at 3k with vat.

At the moment the uk can produce 40% more power than we need within 2-5 years it will be down to 5% especially if the economy recovers. I think we will be in for rolling black outs.

Agreed cheap PRC stuff not worth it - buy cheap, buy twice.

OK, I will take a look at them, we live in France - plenty of power but quite rural our supply is underground and more reliable than suspended cables in most villages. I have converted nearly all lights to LEDs & most kit is low power, we also have wood burner for heating, gravity circulation for water heating from the Rayburn as well.

The freezer has 50 hrs standby so not essential for continuous but may consider big beastie diesel & change over etc to supply the whole house at later date. I see the Pramac also has a super silent version which looks good - Yanmar engine comme le tracteur.

A portable gen set could also provide 230V whilst working in the field etc as well as save our food!

TVM

N

Edited by NFG