Stihl 026 advice

Stephen Blair

Hi, usual me threw away the handbooks when the saws arrived last hear:001_rolleyes:

1, what's the hi and low settings? There are no numbers beside the screw holes:confused1:

2. The oiler, the clutch cover has the little notch out it, but there isn't a little spindle thing to turn, and the saw is oiling ok:confused1:

Is this a new design but use up a huge box of older covers!!!

Am I right in thinking they did this years ago and then went back to the turns thing.

Cheers:001_smile:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a husky.....

Wait did I just say that. Must be ill.....

I'm sure its one on the high and 3/4 on the low. Don't quote me as without looking at the manuals I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what the notch thing you are on about is. I'm sure the oil adjuster is underneath the saw. Turn it over and look. Unless you have one of those dodgy ones.

Hi, usual me threw away the handbooks when the saws arrived last hear:001_rolleyes:

1, what's the hi and low settings? There are no numbers beside the screw holes:confused1:

2. The oiler, the clutch cover has the little notch out it, but there isn't a little spindle thing to turn, and the saw is oiling ok:confused1:

Is this a new design but use up a huge box of older covers!!!

Am I right in thinking they did this years ago and then went back to the turns thing.

Cheers:001_smile:

Firstly the H&L screw are 1 turn out each - sometimes the older carbs can be a little finiky to set and seem to like the settings a little on the leaner side but try the standard setting before worrying.

The oiler - the very old machines didn't have adjustable oilers, it is possible yours is one of them - you can probably retro fit the adjustable one if you like.

The cover - I haven't got a clue what you are talking about - it is the chain adjuster that is on the cover between the bar studs:confused1:

Have fun:thumbup:

Are the old 026's worth the work? We found an old one lying around in the cupboard with a scored barrel. We currently have it in the local Stihl dealers where the mechanic, hopefully, is going to put a new piston in (if the barrel comes out alright after it's acid bath) and then port it. Cost is less than $500 as compared to buying a new 261 that shreds clutch bearings. I seem to remember the old ones were a good little saw and we are short on a small ground saw to compliment the 261. Will it be worth the 500 notes (around £250) for the work?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

These are 2 new 026's!!

1, the h and l settings.

They only have 1 full turn and 3/4 turn , not sure which off hand. So that would be both wide open.

Ady is right, it's the notch out the drum, clutch cover part. It locates over a little spindle to turn the pump.

My saws don't have the little spindle, but do have the covers with the notch.

They still oil fine.

I was wondering why they would upgrade the design, yet keep the older part on the cover.

I have literally just re run in my 14 yr old 026 after having a new piston and a few other bits and bobs to go with it. Cost about £250.

It's like a new saw now and would prefer that to a new 261 which 'might' go wrong. The 026 NEVER went wrong in 12.5 yrs and then just started being a bit unreliable. So it got fixed.