Chipper engine/carb dilema!

arniecardigan

I'm in need of some help and expertise so thought I'd open this up to the wealth of knowledge that is here, I know that maybe foolish and I'm expecting the ridicule and laughter but what the hell.

I have recently come across an old Entec 18/100 gravity fed chipper with a Briggs and Stratton 18hp Vtwin engine. The previous owner had taken the carb apart as he couldn't start it but then stuck the bits in a big tuna tin and left it!!

I paid peanuts for it with the intention of sticking a new carb on it and adding to the fleet however I have now discovered I cant get a new carb and Briggs and Stratton say there is no replacement for the existing one on it dispite the fact its only 16 years old and they still make the same cc and output engine!! They also say they get around 5-6 enquiries about this carb every week!

So the question is what to do those 5-6 other people who enquire every week do and what should I do?

Do I throw the engine away and put another engine on it? If I do this do I put a second hand one on or buy a chinesey replacement new one of the fleabay(my budget doesn't stretch far enough for a new B&S or Honda!!)

Is there another carb out there that will do the job if so where/what is it!!??

Do I attempt to rebuild the carb in the hope that it was the carb stopping the engine from starting in the first place?

Or do I do something else all together that doesn't involve me spending or losing a shed load of ££!

All responses greatfully received along with any offers of second hand 18hp perfectly running Honda engines for peanuts!:thumbup:

If all the parts are there get it back together. Nothing to lose.

If your budget doesn't stretch to a new b and s engine or a genuine Honda go for a copy Honda. (Waiting for the backlash)

I have fitted a copy honda to a log splitter about 2 years ago after the b and s went bang, and it is still running strong today.

It was a lifan 5.5hp on the splitter. And so far I know of another two splitters with these engines and they are ok. One engine had a funny running issue from new that it would take its time to warm up, took about 1 and half minutes before it would kick into life and rev right up. But it seems fine now.

Comes form Germany so I know spud will hate them already. :lol:

LIFAN Petrol Engine 4Stroke. 4.8kW/6.5 HP. recoil. 20mm Q2. giant tank | eBay

This one is a 6.5 so probably not up to the job for the chipper. So would need a bigger one.

Your right there should be a carb somewhere and I've spent the last 2 weeks searching with no luck at all! It's a Vanguard Vtwin 18hp model 350442 type 1186/A1 (E1 will fit but they don't make that anymore either!!) and your right it should go back together if the parts are there!! I know of two parts that are not there they cost £50 alone and I'm sure there are not other bits missing to but don't no what they are and I could be throwing money into it only to find its not that that was stopping the engine from starting in the first place!

I have been wondering about the reliability of Chinese engines as I've seen these on fleabay 20Hp LT620VQ1E V TWIN CYLINDER ELECTRIC START PETROL ENGINE | eBay I'm not adverse to Chinese I have a 62cc Mitox chainsaw that I've put a 16inch bar on and its ace!!

I haven't asked gardenkit yet but have asked 7 different companies who all come back with the same answer which is not positive!! I think they all just want to sell you a new engine!!

I have been wondering about the reliability of Chinese engines as I've seen these on fleabay 20Hp LT620VQ1E V TWIN CYLINDER ELECTRIC START PETROL ENGINE | eBay I'm not adverse to Chinese I have a 62cc Mitox chainsaw that I've put a 16inch bar on and its ace!!

I haven't asked gardenkit yet but have asked 7 different companies who all come back with the same answer which is not positive!! I think they all just want to sell you a new engine!!

if you put one of those engines on you will have to modify all of the manifold and silencer assembly.

does the original Briggs and Stratton have its own fuel tank?? obviously if so then a separate fuel tank will need to be added somewhere