mobile mill

sawmonkey

how does folks.

i've been toying with the idea of getting a woodmizer (or similar) for a while now but 1 thing or another has stopped me.

I'm after picking the brains of anyone willing to help. usual questions....

best machine

rates (hour or per board etc)

how much call is there (i'm based in south wales but will go just about anywhere)

running costs

etc.

any help or advice would be great, cheers in advance

how does folks.

i've been toying with the idea of getting a woodmizer (or similar) for a while now but 1 thing or another has stopped me.

I'm after picking the brains of anyone willing to help. usual questions....

best machine

rates (hour or per board etc)

how much call is there (i'm based in south wales but will go just about anywhere)

running costs

etc.

any help or advice would be great, cheers in advance

Hi there Sawmonkey,

I have just bought a new mill (will be arriving at the yard in 7 days) from the States. I did a lot of research and settled on Logmaster. They produce very large, very heavy and very well built mills for an excellent price.

What are you wanting to cut with it? Do you need a very long bed? What will you be towing with? Do you want hydraulics?

Type Logmaster into the search function and lots of info will come up.

Jonathan

cheers mate,

as for what i want to cut with it, i'll hopefully be planking mainly hardwood for myself, also larch for cladding planks.....and, and well, pretty much what ever people want.

also play about a bit with garden furniture etc

i got a ranger pick up so should be ok to tow most things although i am looing at a mitsi canter 7.5t tipper aswell.

thanks for the tip for the other mill (heart isnt fixed on wood mizer, its just a name everyone knows)

http://www.facebook.com/CoppiceCrafts ;-)

Edited by sawmonkey

There are a lot of mills out there I am biased to woodmizer a as we use them also my dad got his first one in the 90's so a lot of experience with good results, I'd talk to reps and try to have a go with the different mills available, also u need good back up with any mill so see who can offer this.

cheers mate,

as for what i want to cut with it, i'll hopefully be planking mainly hardwood for myself, also larch for cladding planks.....and, and well, pretty much what ever people want.

also play about a bit with garden furniture etc

i got a ranger pick up so should be ok to tow most things although i am looing at a mitsi canter 7.5t tipper aswell.

thanks for the tip for the other mill (heart isnt fixed on wood mizer, its just a name everyone knows)

http://www.facebook.com/CoppiceCrafts ;-)

Well if you are going to be towing with a 7.5 tonner, there is no question - get something other than a Woodmizer. As you say, everyone has Woodmizers so stand apart and get something different. The Logmaster LM2 I'm getting is fully hydraulic, has a 24ft cut, weighs a tonne more than the WM LT40 and is £11k cheaper. No electronics, far simpler to maintain, capable of running a 2 inch band (which I've specified - already have the bands and they are monstrous). For the money you'd spend on an LT40, you'd get the next model up (LM4) with a 51hp Cat diesel, chain turner and computer set works.

Jonathan